General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Yeast advice for a Belgian Blond (18A)

(1/4) > >>

ccfoo242:
JZ suggests WLP500 or wyeast 1214. Reading the descriptions of these and comparing to some of the other Belgian yeasts I really don't know which to try. I was looking at 3522 (ardennes) but Denny mentioned something about a tartness with that one in another thread.

So, I'm open to suggestions...

nateo:
My favorite Belgian yeast is 3787, hands down. I actually prefer it in lower-gravity Belgians, and go with 1762 for bigger Belgians. I've made just about every Belgian style with every Belgian yeast, and those are those are the two I keep coming back to. But I've never met a Belgian yeast I didn't like. Any of them will be great.

Joe Sr.:
I just made a blonde with 3787.  Haven't tasted it yet, but I've liked this yeast in the past.

I like the Ardennes, but it really shines in a tripel.

It might work in a blonde.  I don't think it works in a darker beer.

pyrite:

--- Quote from: ccfoo242 on March 30, 2012, 05:41:56 PM ---JZ suggests WLP500 or wyeast 1214. Reading the descriptions of these and comparing to some of the other Belgian yeasts I really don't know which to try. I was looking at 3522 (ardennes) but Denny mentioned something about a tartness with that one in another thread.

So, I'm open to suggestions...

--- End quote ---

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php#1a

Comments: Similar strength as a dubbel, similar character as a Belgian Strong Golden Ale or Tripel, although a bit sweeter and not as bitter. Often has an almost lager-like character, which gives it a cleaner profile in comparison to the other styles. Belgians use the term “Blond,” while the French spell it “Blonde.” Most commercial examples are in the 6.5 – 7% ABV range. Many Trappist table beers (singles or Enkels) are called “Blond” but these are not representative of this style.

I just made a Belgian Tripple / Blonde using the ardennes yeast strain. I'm not a too much of a style nazi. However, I found that the white labs version of  3522 (ardennes) is a cleaner fermenter than WLP500.  Which is why I would choose 3522 ardennes yeast strain.

I'm a big fan of WLP500 in Tripples, because it kicks up fruity esters, and a bunch of spicy phenols. But after trying the ardennes yeast strain, I would go with the ardennes strain for a blond because it's a very well balanced strain for the bolnde. 

pyrite:

--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on March 30, 2012, 06:29:24 PM ---I just made a blonde with 3787.  Haven't tasted it yet, but I've liked this yeast in the past.

I like the Ardennes, but it really shines in a tripel.

It might work in a blonde. I don't think it works in a darker beer.

--- End quote ---

In my opinion it most certainly does.  I'm currently on the 8th generation of this yeast strain, I keep on reusing  previous yeast cakes.  I most certainly recommend Ardennes yeast strain in Darker Belgains, Strong dark Belgains and blondes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version