Author Topic: Fermenting in a corny keg  (Read 6901 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
Re: Fermenting in a corny keg
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 07:33:57 AM »
Has anyone that uses a quick connect to attach a blowoff hose ever had any clogging problems?  I was thinking this could be an issue so I was thinking of removing the poppet from the IN port and just attaching some silicone tubing to that with a pinch clamp.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 08:27:19 AM »
I use a pressure relief valve attached to a QD and I've had some krausen blow into/through the valve, it didn't clog.  You probably have a 50-60psi pressure relief valve on the lid that would prevent something really bad from happening.

I only got krausen from a 4.25gal batch of weizen.  I try and keep batch sizes closer to 3gal.  If you're fermenting 5gal I think your idea of removing the poppet would be a good idea because there will definitely be a lot of blowoff.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »
So you are fermenting in cornies now?

I still don't understand how you'd get the yeast out of there for repitching if pushing it out doesn't work well.  I would think dumping it from the opening of the keg would be risky.

Sometimes.  If I make a batch larger than 5 gal., I use a 10 gal. corny to ferment in.  I just pour the leftover yeast out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »
Has anyone that uses a quick connect to attach a blowoff hose ever had any clogging problems?  I was thinking this could be an issue so I was thinking of removing the poppet from the IN port and just attaching some silicone tubing to that with a pinch clamp.

Nope, never.  But you certainly could remove the poppet to be safe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »

Nope, never.  But you certainly could remove the poppet to be safe.
Me neither!   :)
Brew on

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »

This is what I do and never had a problem with blowoff.  I have a fair amount of headspace though.  I have a 15 gallon corny for 11 gallon batches and use a 10 gallon corny for the occasional 7 gallon batch.  If I were running tight on space, I might consider other options I suppose.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »
A conical fermenter now seems so ...practical.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »
After 3 years of no trouble with my 15 gallon corny, I can't imagine something much more practical.  Large, stainless, fits in chest freezer, costs under $300, liquid and gas ports included.

Only downside is that it's heavy when it's full.  But there are easy ways to get around that hurdle.

In a perfect world, a 27 gallon heated and cooled conical next to the brew stand would be wonderful.  But for the price, the big keg is a pretty sweet deal.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 06:04:42 AM »
Where do you all score these giant cornies?

Edited to add: never mind I found some on ebay.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:08:00 AM by tomsawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 09:06:07 AM »
Got mine as a second from kegglebrewing.com

Chico Company has them as well.

Offline ajk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
    • View Profile
Fermenting in a corny keg
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

Never any clogging here.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 06:51:53 PM »
$200 for 10gal or $300 for 15gal isn't bad considering you already have an opening for cleaning and gas/liquid QDs for easy maneuvering of liquids and pressurized fermentation and/or carbonation.  A similarly sized conical is quite a bit more expensive.  Seems like a 15gal would be cheapest since you can brew an 11gal batch and fill two carboys.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 08:11:26 AM »
Just a quick heads up for anyone considering the 15 gallon corny to ferment.  They are heavy when full.  My chest freezer required a 12" collar to accomodate the 15 gallon corny and wheels to move it around since I put the corny into it empty and then pump the wort to it.

Once you get past that, it really has been a great fermentation vessel for the money.  Been using it for about two-and-a-half years and have been very happy with it.

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
Have been fermenting in a 10 gallon keg for quite a while.  It works great!  I use a cask widge flow when transferring to reduce/eliminate sediment pickup all the while not wasting any beer.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
Have been fermenting in a 10 gallon keg for quite a while.  It works great!  I use a cask widge flow when transferring to reduce/eliminate sediment pickup all the while not wasting any beer.
Awesome idea!  I bought one to try for serving, but using it in the corny fermenter is genius!  Just pop a little gas-in diptube on the beer-out side and push the silicone hose on?
Brew on