Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boiling out a ball valve  (Read 9797 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Boiling out a ball valve
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 01:25:20 pm »
I have a Blichmann Fermenator that has two ball valves.  It is recommended to boil the valves (open) in tap water for 10min to remove any organic soils within the valve. This is the recommendation of the manufacturer. My ball valves are three pc. stainless steel.

Have you ever opened those up and cleaned them?  I have 3 of those 3 piece Blichmanns, and never had.  Maybe I will soon.

Yes. Here's a video from NB on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRd6pPEU_ko
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 04:41:57 pm »
I have a Blichmann Fermenator that has two ball valves.  It is recommended to boil the valves (open) in tap water for 10min to remove any organic soils within the valve. This is the recommendation of the manufacturer. My ball valves are three pc. stainless steel.

Have you ever opened those up and cleaned them?  I have 3 of those 3 piece Blichmanns, and never had.  Maybe I will soon.

Thanks, not much to it.  Will see how much gunk there is.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 05:46:40 pm »

I've been boiling out the valves on my last three ferments...no issues doing that.  Taking them apart and cleaning them is extra insurance, but I dont think it's necessary everytime. YMMV

Thanks, not much to it.  Will see how much gunk there is.
Ron Price

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 06:27:58 pm »
A coupe years ago I contaminated about three batches before I discovered my ball valve was the culprit. Mine was a two piece stainless and boiling the whole thing for 15 minutes before putting it on the kettle did a great job. I did this for about a year.

These days I use a the Blichman three piece stainless ball valve and I take it off the kettle, disassemble it and soak in PBW between every brew session. I use the hottest tap water and PBW does the rest. I let it soak for three or four days before rinsing and there is NOTHING left. PBW is fantastic.

Anyway, if you plan to stick with brass I would soak it in super hot water and PBW with it open, remove and put the valve at half open and soak again, then close all the way and soak again. Rinse thoroughly with hot water later and move that valve around a lot to clean out all the residual PBW. That should do the trick and boiling the wort should add enough heat to kill any funky bugs.

Good luck and cheers!