Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 55 gal SS drums  (Read 2445 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
55 gal SS drums
« on: April 01, 2012, 07:30:52 am »
Dreaming about stepping up production and found this: http://shop.usedstainlesssteelbarrels.com/main.sc
Would also make a PDS(purty drum smoker). Shiny!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: 55 gal SS drums
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:41:19 pm »
Dreaming about stepping up production and found this: http://shop.usedstainlesssteelbarrels.com/main.sc
Would also make a PDS(purty drum smoker). Shiny!

Awesome! And the price ok for the 304 steel. Make an awesome boil-kettle.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:55:52 am »
The $100+ shipping puts a damper on my enthusiasm, but it might still be a good deal.  Nevermind the PDS though, the UDS works great :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 01:10:04 am »
I picked up a surplus power transformer shell at the scap/recycle center last week.  It is painted stainless steel, 47 gallons and never used.  The scrapyard attendant thought it was carbon steel and sold it to me for $20.  It is going to make an awesome boiler!   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:25 am »
I picked up a surplus power transformer shell at the scap/recycle center last week.  It is painted stainless steel, 47 gallons and never used.  The scrapyard attendant thought it was carbon steel and sold it to me for $20.  It is going to make an awesome boiler!   ;)

Score! Post action pics...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:52 am »
The $100+ shipping puts a damper on my enthusiasm, but it might still be a good deal.  Nevermind the PDS though, the UDS works great :)
It is still good price.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:01:06 am »

Wow, that's a great deal!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »

Transformer steel is often called Silicon Steel - up to about 4% Silicon and 93-96 Iron with minor (< 1%) additions of Nickel, Chromium, Aluminum, Titanium.  If it was painted it is very likely not Austenitic (300 Series) Stainless.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 07:50:20 pm »
They are some very nice looking drums. I would love to have one for use as a UDS.  :)

Ron Price