Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When should I add this Candi Syrup?  (Read 19081 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: When should I add this Candi Syrup?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 04:15:57 pm »
But I get aroma and flavor contributions from it when it's in for the whole boil.  What am I doing wrong?   ;D

The air around your boil kettle is already super saturated with patchouli oil so there's no where to go for all the stuff in the kettle. It just stays in solution.  ;D

Well, when you explain it like that it makes perfect sense!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 06:22:00 pm »
My rule of thumb is always - if I'm hoping to get aroma and flavor contributions, in late she goes - 10 minutes or so of boil time. If not, chunk it in early.

But I get aroma and flavor contributions from it when it's in for the whole boil.  What am I doing wrong?   ;D

I've tried 60, 40, 20, 0 and at high krausen.  I agree with denny, I think I get more flavor when I add it somewhere between 60 and 40.  My second favorite choice would be after high krausen, but it's a pain in the butt to add then.  Jeff, what's your secret?
What secret?  After the wort is fermenting for a couple days, pour the sugar into the pail or carboy.  What is so difficult about that?  Not pragmatic enough I guess......
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 07:07:10 pm »
What secret?  After the wort is fermenting for a couple days, pour the sugar into the pail or carboy.  What is so difficult about that?  Not pragmatic enough I guess......

Plenty pragmatic, as long as you remember to do it!  I add the sugars to the kettle so it's over and done with and I din't have to worry about it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jaybeerman

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 08:15:30 pm »

I'm talking about adding syrup, which can be a goopy mess if you try to add a pouch straight into the carboy

You add syrup and/or sugar with no worries about mixing?  No boiling of them in water first?  Just curious

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 04:12:36 am »

I'm talking about adding syrup, which can be a goopy mess if you try to add a pouch straight into the carboy

You add syrup and/or sugar with no worries about mixing?  No boiling of them in water first?  Just curious
No, no worries, just pour it in.  I figure the pouch contains a food product.  The syrup I used recently wasn't so viscous that much at all stayed in the pouch.  You could mix it if you want, but I think the yeast will find it at high kreusen even if it sinks to the bottom.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:05 pm »
I add mine at the beginning of the boil.  The yeast isn't stressed and neither am I...

;D ;D ;D

If I'm doing a 90 minute boil should I wait until 60? Or should I not worry. I'm making a Belgian blonde so would that effect color/make it darker?  I'm just using plain table sugar.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 01:26:00 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between 60 and 90.  Adding it earlier will probably cause a very slight darkening.  Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are, add it later.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 01:53:11 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between 60 and 90.  Adding it earlier will probably cause a very slight darkening.  Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are, add it later.

To me this is the only real difference. The longer you boil the more color/melanoidin/carmelization/Maillard reactions you're going to get out of the syrup.

If Im doing a Dark Strong, or darker beer where I want that added stuff I will toss it in the beginning of the boil. If Im doing something where I want it to be light in color, like a Golden Strong for example, I add it in the last 15 minutes or so of the boil.  I personally, like Denny havent noticed much yeast stress or anything like that....I should note that I never used light candi syrup, plain sugar works just as well in my experience. So usually for me its sugar going in around 15 minutes, darker syrups going in near the beginning of the boil.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.