Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: my beer proved itself tonight  (Read 3375 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
my beer proved itself tonight
« on: April 01, 2012, 07:56:19 am »
 A while ago, I was asked to make the beer for a party, expecting well over 100.  I haven't talked about it here, because I've been way to nervous about it. I made a plan, and stuck to it. Well, tonight was the big night. I made 13 gal of honey wheat, and 5 gal of stout. It was a huge hit. Most of the people there I did not know. Person after person told me how much they liked it. Not a few times did I hear the phrase "best I've had". And more than did I hear a story along the lines of " I hate dark beer / stouts.  So-and-so made me try this. I absolutely love it. I can't get enough". Several people told me what they really liked about it was it was not heavy, or thick, like a lot of dark beers they drink. And no bitter end on it, very smooth. A couple times I also heard " I like Midnight Satin, at the brewery here, but this is a lot better". It was so good to hear all that from total strangers.  For a while now, I've had a suspicion I make decent beer. Now I know I do. Many thanks to all of you. Five years ago, I did first extract batch on the stove. 90% of what I've learned about brewing is from all of you. The cheap and easy Denny, butt reaming from Major about pitching cool, and fermentation temps, and so much more from all the rest of you guys. So thank you all. I would not be the Brewer I am today if if weren't for you all. Oh, and this also proves one big thing...pantless brewing really works!
  Now, I tell you that story to get to the good part. The dude working a t the place we had the party tried my beer. While I was carrying a keg to my truck at the end of the night, he stopped me to talk beer. Long story short, he gestures across the street to Great Western Malting, and tells me his dad works there. For the price a Growler of beer, as much of whatever malt I want. From a few pounds, to sacks. I put my first order in, and he said I can pick it up Monday. Hopefully, its not to good to be true. If it is the real deal, I'll be trading in my two tap system for a chest freezer real soon!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: my beer proved itself tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:15:51 am »
  Now, I tell you that story to get to the good part. The dude working a t the place we had the party tried my beer. While I was carrying a keg to my truck at the end of the night, he stopped me to talk beer. Long story short, he gestures across the street to Great Western Malting, and tells me his dad works there. For the price a Growler of beer, as much of whatever malt I want. From a few pounds, to sacks. I put my first order in, and he said I can pick it up Monday. Hopefully, its not to good to be true. If it is the real deal, I'll be trading in my two tap system for a chest freezer real soon!
Hmmm, and you posted this when??????
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:40:23 am »
Started the post last night. Forgot to hit submit, so i did that this morning.  ;D

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:59:38 am »
that's an awesome story.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:13:58 am »
It really is an awesome story. But it begs the question...did you wear pants?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:21:27 am »
Good stuff on people liking beer at a party, especially the stout part of the story.

Pants are never required at all parties, only pants parties.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 09:36:55 am »
nice job weaze!! Its so great to hear positive feedback about your beers. I made a batch for my buddy's wedding and people are still contacting me about it more than 6 months later, it really makes you feel good doesn't it?

Hope the malt thing works out for you it sounds awesome!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 10:24:02 am »
Glad to hear Weaze, Boulder and I were wondering what beers you served, forgot to ask you last night on tinychat.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 11:47:04 am »
Served a stout and a honest wheat. Not really my picks, but its what he asked for.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:55:41 am »
Seeing the date that you posted this... I hope you aren't yanking our chains...

I suspect the real secret to your success is the pictures of Marilyn in your mancave!   8)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 12:13:52 pm »
I've been getting complements all along but lately people are saying- best you've ever made! Wow. I'm seeing flaws but I don't point them out. ;D

Congrats weaze. We can all be our own worst critic so it is good to get positive feedback, especially from strangers.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

narvin

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 03:20:03 pm »
Idaho is apparently a magical place, full of Uncle Ricos and free malt.  Who woulda thought??

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 05:37:59 pm »
Nice work buddy. It's a great feeling when people really like your beer.

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:34 pm »
It's Monday night any follow up?! Was this just drunken promises or did things actually come thru?
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 12:36:47 am »
Story is, his garage Burt down Sunday so did not go to work that night. Said he will be at work and will make good on Tuesday. We'll see. Follow up to come.