Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anybody ever make cheese?  (Read 7180 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Anybody ever make cheese?
« on: April 01, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »
I made cheese in high school as part of a chemistry project. Just very basic farmer's cheese (used lemon juice to coagulate the milk).  But, I'm sort of considering trying to make fresh mozzarella or something else.  I know several dairy farmers where I can trade beer for unpasteurized whole milk.
Anyway, anyone here make cheese on a regular (or semi-regular) basis?  Got any advice?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Anybody ever make cheese?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:01:50 pm »
Tubercle makes all kinds of cheeses all the time. There is a post on here somewhere about it and the press I made.

Your best friend: http://cheeseforum.org
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »
I'm an expert in cutting the cheese. Just ask my wife.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:15:33 am »
Tubercle makes all kinds of cheeses all the time. There is a post on here somewhere about it and the press I made.

Your best friend: http://cheeseforum.org
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=4154.0
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:02:29 am »
If you can get unpasteurized milk you are golden. I have not been so lucky and more or less quit making cheese as a result. It is a time consuming process, but is all about temp control so it isn't hard.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:50:23 am »
Thanks Tom.  I'll abandon this thread and jump on the one you sent. 
Apparently making beer has lost it's challenge so it's time for a new obsession  ;)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:23 am »
I've made ricotta and feta, with pretty good results. I've never tried a hard cheese, but would like too someday.

I will say that sometimes, even using the same procedure, I don't develop good curds and I can't understand why, 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:31:05 am »
I've made ricotta and feta, with pretty good results. I've never tried a hard cheese, but would like too someday.

I will say that sometimes, even using the same procedure, I don't develop good curds and I can't understand why,

do you use different brands of milk? ultrapasteurized milk will often have issues coagulating. Also, if i remember correctly, the level of calcium has an effect on coagulation.

I used to make paneer and ricotta on a regular basis (usign lemon juice, not proper ricotta) but I don't usually have time anymore. I used to make lasagna with homemade everything (noodles, cheese, sauce, veggies)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:34 am »
I was making a bunch of microwave mozzarella last year but haven't in a while.  Here's a tip: don't even bother with rennet that's past its expiration date.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:51 am »

do you use different brands of milk? ultrapasteurized milk will often have issues coagulating. Also, if i remember correctly, the level of calcium has an effect on coagulation.

I used to make paneer and ricotta on a regular basis (usign lemon juice, not proper ricotta) but I don't usually have time anymore. I used to make lasagna with homemade everything (noodles, cheese, sauce, veggies)

Yes, same brand and I'd add about an eighth of a teaspoon of calcium carbonate. It was always pasteurized milk.

I originally used some out of date rennet, but replaced it with new stuff. I'm not sure that helped much. It was like 1 out of 4 batches I dumped.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:44:51 am »

Yes, same brand and I'd add about an eighth of a teaspoon of calcium carbonate. It was always pasteurized milk.

I originally used some out of date rennet, but replaced it with new stuff. I'm not sure that helped much. It was like 1 out of 4 batches I dumped.

huh, well that about exhausts my cheese making troubleshooting abilities  :D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 11:55:36 am »
I thought this was an extension of the regional sayings thread.  I'm at work "making the cheese" right now.

My girlfriend has been eyeing the cheese making supplies as the LHBS last few times, I'm trying to be very encouraging but it's gotta be her thing.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 05:22:56 pm »
We make cheese quite a bit in my house. Just simple farmer's cheese, that we usually put fresh on top of some Poutine, with a good helping of gravy. We use Mark Bittman's method in his book How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. It is really, really easy. Just bring a pot of milk (doesn't have to be unpasteurized or non-homogenized) to a simmer, once you see some bubbles coming up, cut the heat, and pour a quart of buttermilk into it, and stir it thoroughly. Then, pour it through some cheese cloth, and squeeze until you get the consistency you want (it will be hot). Bittman's book is wonderful, so I would recommend looking it up. Simple, and delicious though.

-Kyle
Kyle M.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 05:37:23 pm »
Poutine
You know Poutine in Illinois?  Wow, I'm seriously impressed.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 08:58:08 pm »
Poutine
You know Poutine in Illinois?  Wow, I'm seriously impressed.

Oh, man I love Poutine, but I've never been to Canada, or had the real thing (so I suppose I may be doing it wrong). My girlfriend and I wanted to make something for the last Winter Olympics, and thought Poutine was the perfect dish. It is really good, and what's not to like? Fresh cheese, gravy, fries. Grab a beer, put some curling on, or hockey, and I'm in heaven.

Cheers,
Kyle
Kyle M.