Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: times to add LME and DME during boil?  (Read 6611 times)

Offline mhill2079

• 1st Kit
times to add LME and DME during boil?
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:29:40 pm »
So I was wondering what kind of difference it makes when you add LME or DME at either the begining of a 60 minute boil (5 gallons) or 15 minutes before the end. From what I can tell this is only a hop utilization thing.  So if for instance a recipe only has finishing hops in it, (added at the 15 minute mark) you could technically just do the boil with all ingredients added at once and only boil it for 15 minutes, vs adding the DME and LME at the beginning of the 60 minutes and the hops at 15 minutes, right? I'm really just trying to figure out when I put my own recipes together when to add the DME and LME and then also how much at which times.

Thanks

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: times to add LME and DME during boil?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:02:02 am »
You can get an edge by adding the last couple pounds at the end, but I don't bother myself. I'm not going to penny pinch over a ounce of hops here or there.

But yes you can do what you are suggesting it is a very common practice.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:46:10 am »
If you are doing a partial mash with pilsner malt, I would boil the full 90 minutes.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:56:14 am »
Further reading your post I will say I did a Special Bitter with just hop additions at 30 and 15 tonight. I only did a 45 minute boil. IBU's will be 45. I actually shortened the boil time due to the fact that I didn't want to have half an oz of columbus left over. So I opted for less utilization but a big bang in the flavor dept.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis