Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Honey IPA - when to add  (Read 6183 times)

Offline craigweiser

• 1st Kit
Honey IPA - when to add
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:07:24 am »
Im brewing a honey IPA today - I'm using 2# of unpasteurized of honey to do so. I'd like to ensure there is at least some honey aroma and flavor in the final product without performing the terribly laborious pasteurization procedures discussed elsewhere.  Anybody regularly brew with honey able to achieve aroma/flavor in their final product without contamination?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Honey IPA - when to add
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:03:13 am »
Just add it to the secondary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:29:29 am »
indeed!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 10:31:59 am »
I agree with all of the above for when you are going to add honey if you want the flavor and aroma characteristics. However, in an IPA, I don't think you will really get any of the honey, because it will be drowned out by the hops. Even in my Honey brown porter, the honey is kind of drowned out by the roasted malts.

Just my .02

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 10:48:45 am »
I agree with all of the above for when you are going to add honey if you want the flavor and aroma characteristics. However, in an IPA, I don't think you will really get any of the honey, because it will be drowned out by the hops. Even in my Honey brown porter, the honey is kind of drowned out by the roasted malts.

Just my .02

+1, the honey will be lost completely. For any hope of honey flavor in an IPA, you would have to add enough honey to have it qualify as a braggot.

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:03:23 pm »
i vote you add some honey malt to the malt bill. You'll get much more sweetness and flavor than just throwing honey at the recipe and hoping for the best. I think the honey in the secondary is a great way to add a little sweetness, some aroma, and bragging rights to saying it's a true honey IPA...but for the flavor go with honey malt.
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline Wesbrau

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:35:41 pm »
If you're kegging and can keep the kegs cold until consumed, you could "dry honey" the beer in the keg.  Just add the honey to some 190-200 degree water to dissolve it, add the mixture to your keg, and rack onto it. 
Wes

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:29:22 am »
I add clover honey in the whirlpool at flame out to my IIPA's.  I love the slight crisp twist that come from adding honey to the IIPA. If I had you're honey I would add it into the primary fermenter after high krausen subsides. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.