Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Optimum temperature for barrel aging?  (Read 12477 times)

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
Optimum temperature for barrel aging?
« on: February 03, 2012, 04:18:07 pm »
I keep my barrels in my beer cellar (commercial refrigerator) at 45 degrees with the rest of the beer collection.  I have never seen any data or suggestions on optimum temperature for barrel aging beer.  Is there a best temperature for a barrel aged stout versus a sour beer?  Anyone have any insight / thoughts on best temperature range?
Thanks,
JJ
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Re: Optimum temperature for barrel aging?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:25:19 pm »
All that I am able to do is keep radical changes from happening.  If you are in a stable
45 Degrees, I believe that would be a very good environment for your barrel beer.  I did
visit Avery Brewery and I Believe that Adam keeps his beers in a 50ish degree warehouse.
YMMV
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline jeepinjeepin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:33:36 pm »
I would guess 45-55F. Cooler for long periods, warmer for shorter.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:04:58 am »
I have beer aging in wine and bandy bbls. I am leaving them out in the open at ambient temps which swing from the high 30s to the mid 70s. I believe the temp swings will help the beer extract more wood character from the bbls due to expanding and contracting similar to the philosophy behind bourbon bbl aging. As soon as the wether starts to warm I am going to probably have to find another solution but I wonder if 45 isn't a bit cold. I'd think you would want to have it cellar temps at the coldest. If you have a way to move your bbl around you might consider moving it out into room temp off and on.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:43:05 pm »
Warmer means faster maturation, colder means slower.  At 45F you aren't going to get much microoxidation or concentration since little liquid is evaporating through the pores of the wood.  It will pick up some wood tannins though, I don't see that slowing because of cold temps.

I think it might be better done at 55-60F.  Thats optimal for wine.  Of course this is for a 50gal barrel, the small barrels have larger surface/volume ratios and everything happens faster so you might be OK slowing things down with refrigeration.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »
Today I learned the "60/60 rule" for aging beer in barrels from a cellarman.

Temperature of 60 degrees at 60% humidity.

This apparently is the ideal conditions.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins