Author Topic: bottled a beer in a screw top growler, wish me luck....  (Read 13615 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
bottled a beer in a screw top growler, wish me luck....
« on: April 02, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »
i bottled a beer to bring to homebrew club meeting, in two weeks, in a growler.  it's a 64 oz. screw top growler. 

i've never made a bottle bomb, so i hope this isn't the first.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
Re: bottled a beer in a screw top growler, wish me luck....
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
No reason it should be unless you overcarbonated it.
Brew on

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »
i used 3.6 oz of regular sugar per some website where i did it to the "robust porter" style.   5 gallons of beer, so i'm hoping i'm good.

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
Assuming you fermented the beer to terminal gravity...you should be in good shape with that amount of sugar for 5 gal of a Porter.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
Assuming you fermented the beer to terminal gravity...you should be in good shape with that amount of sugar for 5 gal of a Porter.

two weeks primary and a week in secondary.  i didn't check before bottling, but it was down to 1.021 (from 1.082) at the end of the second week.  i feel certain it was down all the way. 

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »

two weeks primary and a week in secondary.  i didn't check before bottling, but it was down to 1.021 (from 1.082) at the end of the second week.  i feel certain it was down all the way.

That's 74% AA. Which yeast strain did you use?
Ron Price

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »
You'd have to really screw up to have a bottle bomb in two weeks anyway.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »

That's 74% AA. Which yeast strain did you use?

i used two packages of safale-s04...

sorry....  i've been off the grid a bit.....  lasek....  i can kind of see now.  can't wait until i'm 100%.

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 11:56:56 PM »
Just remember that low pressure in a large volume is more powerful than high pressure in a small volume. The growler can probably withstand normal carbonation and since it is only 2 quarts I wouldn't worry.

Now a carboy... that would be shady. :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »
Just remember that low pressure in a large volume is more powerful than high pressure in a small volume. The growler can probably withstand normal carbonation and since it is only 2 quarts I wouldn't worry.

I'm not sure what you mean by this euge.  Pressure is not more or less powerful depending on the size of the vessel.  I larger vessel may be structurally weaker, but that's not the same thing.  :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:02 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by this euge.  Pressure is not more or less powerful depending on the size of the vessel.  I larger vessel may be structurally weaker, but that's not the same thing.  :-\

Actually that is not correct. Of course it seems counterintuitive because high pressure in a large volume is dangerous as well. I'm looking for the equation... maybe some of our engineer friends have it.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:42 AM »

Actually that is not correct. Of course it seems counterintuitive because high pressure in a large volume is dangerous as well. I'm looking for the equation... maybe some of our engineer friends have it.

Are you talking about PV=nRT?  I don't see how that applies.  Some other equation?

I think I have no idea what you mean by "more powerful", because it's obviously something different from what I mean.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 02:14:18 AM »
Force exerted over the area would be better than "powerful". Sorry. I'm dragging 30 year old knowledge out. Wish I had that equation handy. You would never have to build a big bottle thicker- such as a champagne bottle to contain the pressure, based on your assumption. A longneck can can easily hold the volumes a champagne bottle holds. Whereas if the champagne bottle had walls the thickness of the longneck it would be more likely to rupture from the pressure.

A growler is usually pretty hefty. I'd trust less than 3 volumes in mine.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 10:47:28 PM »
Force exerted over the area would be better than "powerful". Sorry. I'm dragging 30 year old knowledge out. Wish I had that equation handy. You would never have to build a big bottle thicker- such as a champagne bottle to contain the pressure, based on your assumption. A longneck can can easily hold the volumes a champagne bottle holds. Whereas if the champagne bottle had walls the thickness of the longneck it would be more likely to rupture from the pressure.

It's been a long time for me too, but not 30 years :) 

I see what you mean now, but you're still a bit off the mark.  I mean, you're kind of right, but for the wrong reasons.

It is independent of the volume of the vessel, what matters is the radius of the cylinder.  As the radius of the cylinder increases, the wall thickness will need to increase in order to withstand the same pressure because the glass is subject to higher stress.  It is the shape that matters, not the size.  A 12 oz bottle shaped like a whiskey flask will need thicker walls than a cylindrical 12 oz bottle.  By the same token, a cylindrical 64 oz bottle with the same wall thickness and radius as a standard 12 oz bottle (and as tall as it needs to be) will hold the pressure just as well as the 12 oz bottle.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 04:27:47 AM »

It's been a long time for me too, but not 30 years :) 

I see what you mean now, but you're still a bit off the mark.  I mean, you're kind of right, but for the wrong reasons.

It is independent of the volume of the vessel, ...

That's not necessarily true, because the volume will increase as the radius increases. If it doesn't, than the surface area of the  top and bottom would be increasing to make up for the reduced wall height.

It's pounds per square inch and that force isn't just exerted on the sides. In the case of growlers, the top and bottom are thicker by design, so the walls are the weak point.