Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Should there be a Hops category?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Hop Topics  (Read 2724 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Hop Topics
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:38:57 am »
Why are hops listed under ingredients? Shouldn't they merit a category of their own? Yeast have their own. Grain and extract each have their own...

Hops merit a category of their own IMO and probably Water as well. ;) Anyway not trying to start trouble but this suddenly struck me as out of whack with the forum, and it might make it easier for forum users to post topics and find answers about hops.

Respect the hops.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Re: Hop Topics
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:19:30 am »
Props to the hops!
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:04:38 am »
Believe we had them as separate at first, sort of useless and too much segmentation and too many subforums.

blech.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:26:24 am »
I love hops as much as the next guy (and probably more), but I think at the volume of posts this forum sees it's OK for the Hops not to be split off to their own category.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 07:09:51 am »
I love hops as much as the next guy (and probably more), but I think at the volume of posts this forum sees it's OK for the Hops not to be split off to their own category.

+1
Joe

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:16:32 am »
IMO there are too many sub-categories already. Hard to know which one to post in. It's beer. ;)

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:43:15 am »
Why are hops listed under ingredients? Shouldn't they merit a category of their own? Yeast have their own. Grain and extract each have their own...

I don't see where grain and extract have their own category, brewing is the category. Yeast is coupled with fermentation. Grains, extracts, hops, adjuncts,water, and any other ingredient are and should remain in ingredients.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:14:28 am »

Hops merit a category of their own IMO and probably Water as well. ;) Anyway not trying to start trouble but this suddenly struck me as out of whack with the forum, and it might make it easier for forum users to post topics and find answers about hops.

Respect the hops.

I often wondered this myself. To the experienced brewer, a separate hop category may not be important. When first starting out, a separate hop category could be a great asset. With so many new hops and different hopping techniques, I could see a big benefit.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 09:40:18 am »
I think hops are definitely note worthy and distinguishable as a key flavor/ingredient...but I think with the layout of the forum you can have a great conversation, or great conversations within the ingredients category. I would be worried about sub dividing so much that there's limited conversation.
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Hop Topics
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 10:14:26 am »
Believe we had them as separate at first, sort of useless and too much segmentation and too many subforums.

blech.

This.  We purposely decided to prune the number of separate topic area.  We had gotten complaints about the structure being too complicated.  Guess you can't plese everybody...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 10:36:19 am »
Thought I remembered there being a hops section, which sort of prompted this poll.

The structure being too complicated sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me. But! There are actually more pressing issues with the performance of the site and I'd rather folks concentrate on those.

Now we know why there isn't a "Hops" category.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis