Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Undermodified pils malt?  (Read 9726 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Undermodified pils malt?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 09:01:48 am »
looks like maybe it's time to get that old two bucket malting bucket setup out and roll your own. If'n ya can't buy y'just might havta make yer own

A year or two ago I came across the website for some guy who made his own countertop "floor" malting system. It looked really sweet. Any idea where I can buy raw Bohemian barley?

I can get raw 6-row at the Mennonite store down the road, but I don't know how good that'll be for what I'm trying to do.

I will let you know if I find any. I know it's possible to get regular north american 2 row. There is a place in Reno NV called Rebel malting and he will sell you unmalted harrington barley by the sack. If you want a specific heirloom cultivar that's going to be trickier. I have been searching for heirloom cultivars for a while now and have not found any really solid leads. The north american barley growing scene is very much bleeding edge oriented as it is still very much a commodity crop and the small indi farmers have not paid attention to it much yet. Consider it on my list of varieties to find.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 10:04:15 am »
Morti- Colorado Malting Company sells unmalted 2-row barley too, not sure what they kind they grow. I'm not really sure if I'm up for growing my own. I mean, I have a field and a tractor, but I wouldn't know where to start.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 10:53:02 am »
Morti- Colorado Malting Company sells unmalted 2-row barley too, not sure what they kind they grow. I'm not really sure if I'm up for growing my own. I mean, I have a field and a tractor, but I wouldn't know where to start.

wow, a field and a tractor is one tractor and about 3/4 of a field more than I have! For what it's worth I think the main thing is not to much nitrogen and planting in the fall. It's actually a really good winter cover crop, and if you return your waste to the fields a pretty good green manure.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 11:01:02 am »
wow, a field and a tractor is one tractor and about 3/4 of a field more than I have! For what it's worth I think the main thing is not to much nitrogen and planting in the fall. It's actually a really good winter cover crop, and if you return your waste to the fields a pretty good green manure.

I don't think the field has been farmed since the 60s, maybe earlier. Right now it's just full of grass. I'm not sure if I have a plow to hitch to the tractor.

You can't plant malt, can you? 
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 11:05:19 am »
 Your location has a lot to do with whether it's worth it to even try to grow barley (no, you can't plant malt...malt is made from barley).  Dan Listermann tried growing malt in Ohio and reportedly harvested about 10% as much as he planted!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 11:36:55 am »
Your location has a lot to do with whether it's worth it to even try to grow barley (no, you can't plant malt...malt is made from barley).  Dan Listermann tried growing malt in Ohio and reportedly harvested about 10% as much as he planted!

I think it's fascinatingthat you can germinate ANY malt. Just goes to show that life will out, if given any opportunity at all.

but yeah, location has a lot to do with it, it also has a lot to do with what varieties you would want to plant. Bohemia likely has a lot colder winter weather than MO so bohemian barley might not do well there. But one of the nice things about barley is that it will grow well in soil that is not suited to many other crops. and for malting purposes you actually want less fertile soil so the protein percentage doesn't get to high.

It is grown most places in the US though. I know VT, western MA, CO (of course) MT, ME, NE (again, of course), IA... well it goes on and on. It'll grow most places.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 12:23:43 pm »

I think it's fascinatingthat you can germinate ANY malt. Just goes to show that life will out, if given any opportunity at all.

I don't think I'd count on malt germinating if you were going to the trouble to try to grow it.  Dan planted barley, not malt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell