Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All grain lawnmower ale  (Read 4764 times)

Offline trivittbrew

• 1st Kit
All grain lawnmower ale
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:48 am »
As it's getting very warm here in Austin, TX, as I was seriously considering brewing an 5 gallon batch of a good, light ale to drink after I'm done mowing the lawn and just something to be a interesting thirst quencher. The recipe I came up with below, is basically a lightened pre-prohibition style lager fermented with White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast at ale temperatures.

6.5 LB of American six-row
2.0 LB of flaked maize (corn)

1 oz Saaz@60 min.
.50oz Saaz@15 min.
.25oz Saaz@1min.

Estimated OG 1.044
Estimated FG 1.014
SRM 2
ABV: 4.0%
IBU:16
BU:GU:.36

single infusion at 149F for about 90 minutes
WLP810 (San Francisco Lager) at roughly 68F for one week, transfer to secondary for another one week, then cold crash for another five days prior to kegging

There isn't a style of beer on the planet I don't like, but that being said, I am a big pale ale and blonde ale fan, as well as a big fan of an easy going, well crafted lager. Don't get me wrong, I love my IPAs, but my goal with this beer is to have something that can be quaffed but at the same time is more interesting than a macro lager. I guess you could call it a craft lawnmower ale? Anyway, is this going to be too mild?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:23:42 pm by trivittbrew »

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: All grain lawnmower ale
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:41:04 am »
I dont think so. But Id use 2 row instead of 6 but thats my taste.

If you want a bit cleaner you may wana get your ferm temp closer to 60-62 to make it more lager like!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:40:17 pm »
Agreed on the 2 row vs. 6 row.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:58:45 pm »
I would also add, skip the secondary. no need for it here. give it two weeks and then cold crash (of course regardless of how long it's been you shouldn't do anything until a couple seriel gravity tests indicate complete fermentation)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 01:15:46 pm »
I think you are going to end up with somthing that tastes like a macro lager. If that is what your after just buy a 30 pack. I would also use 2 row or better yet pilsner malt. I use the California lager yeast all the time at 66 degrees and it produces a very clean beer. I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks then keg. There is no need to cold crash this yeast for clear beer. Have fun.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:37:35 pm »
I think you are going to end up with somthing that tastes like a macro lager. If that is what your after just buy a 30 pack. I would also use 2 row or better yet pilsner malt. I use the California lager yeast all the time at 66 degrees and it produces a very clean beer. I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks then keg. There is no need to cold crash this yeast for clear beer. Have fun.

this looks like a mild low hopped classic american pilsner.  i don't see anything wrong except you may notice the 6 row to be a little grainier than needed.  could split the 6 row and 2 row.

why pick on a macro lager.  you could buy just about anything out there, why brew at all?,

i agree with the yeast description above.
Don AHA member

Offline trivittbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:40 pm »
Thanks all for your suggestions. Based on what I have seen below and some of my own gut feel, instead of using all six row malt, I am going to use 3.5 LBS of six row and three LBS of German pils malt, as well as the two pounds of flaked maize. I am also thinking I am going to bump the IBU up from the mid teens to the low 20 range. Basically, I am looking at to brew a lighter pre-prohibition style lager, as the BU:GU ratio for this recipe should put me in that range.