Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Recomendations for Baltic Porter  (Read 9598 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Yeast Recomendations for Baltic Porter
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:19:13 am »
Looking for good recommendations for a Baltic Porter Yeast.  Looking for something reasonably neutral.  I've seen everything from German lager strains to Irish ale recommended in recipes.  I have a hard time fermenting below 62F, negating most of the lager strains.  The OG will likely be fairly high 1.090 to 1.10.  Any ideas?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Yeast Recomendations for Baltic Porter
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:55:58 am »
try the san francisco lager yeast, it is a little more warm tolerant.
Don AHA member

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:12:36 am »
2 packages of safale s-04....  i just used s-04 in a high abv porter that i brewed and it turned out nicely.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:09:03 am »
I agree with the San Fransisco Lager Yeast, but also think about 1056 or 1007. They both ferment very clean, and I have heard of a couple people using them to make mock lagers at cooler fermentation temps (60-65).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:28:33 am »
I agree with the San Fransisco Lager Yeast, but also think about 1056 or 1007. They both ferment very clean, and I have heard of a couple people using them to make mock lagers at cooler fermentation temps (60-65).

I vote for 1007 in that situation.  You can even run it as low as 52-55.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 10:14:55 pm »
I 3rd the SF lager yeast. When I did use it for a Baltic porter of OG 1.095 I was well satisfied with the results. However, I did ferment at 50F. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline 6thstreet

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:12:37 pm »
I won a silver medal in the Beehive Brewoff for my Baltic Porter using Wyeast Munich Lager 2308. Also have done it with the 2206 but really couldn't tell a difference.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »
try the san francisco lager yeast, it is a little more warm tolerant.

This.

Gordon strong even said the SF lager yeast fermented around 62 was his secret weapon for Baltic Porters.

That being said my fav Baltic Porter yeast is WLP885 Zurich Lager fermented around 48 degrees, but if I had trouble keeping a cooler ferm temp Id go for SF lager. Keep in mind that Baltic Porters are a high gravity brew and you will experience more of a natural temp increase since the yeast will be very busy.  4 degrees c an easily become 10 in a Baltic Porter, so if you have trouble with a standard ale at 62 you may hard pressed to keep a Baltic Porter that cool.  Luckily SF lager stays pretty clean at the warmer temps in my experience!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 05:54:16 pm »
Another recommendation not already listed here is Wyeast #1187-Ringwood Ale. Although it can be a rather "persnickety" strain, it can produce a rather exceptional Baltic Porter. I recommend using a slurry from a previous batch & then fermenting as close to 65°F as possible.  8)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:14:40 pm »
Listen to Beertracker.  Ringwood yeast is my favorite for the Baltic Porter style.

Try a Carnegie Porter from Sweden......fermented with Ringwood.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 05:11:20 pm »
sometimes i forget that people have local homebrew stores when i make my suggestions.  down here in mississippi, ordering liquid yeast during the hot months (about 9 per year) can be pretty touch and go.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale