Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Revised "Lanwmower" Austin Summer Session Ale  (Read 1627 times)

Offline trivittbrew

• 1st Kit
Revised "Lanwmower" Austin Summer Session Ale
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:44:43 pm »
As it's getting very warm here in Austin, TX, as I was seriously considering brewing an 5.75 gallon batch of a good, light ale to drink after I'm done mowing the lawn and just something to be a interesting thirst quencher. The recipe I came up with below, is basically a lightened pre-prohibition style lager fermented with White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast at ale temperatures.

4.0 LB German Pils
3.25 LB of American six-row
2.0 LB of flaked maize (corn)

1.25 oz Saaz@75 min.
1.0oz Saaz@20 min.
1oz Saaz@1min.

Estimated OG 1.044
Estimated FG 1.012
SRM 2.9
ABV: 4.1%
IBU:25
BU:GU:.573

single infusion at 151F for about 90 minutes
WLP810 (San Francisco Lager) at roughly 68F for two weeks, then cold crash for another five days prior to kegging

My goal is a light, easy drinking ale with a bit of character but at the same time very clean and sessionable. I am wondering if I should use WLP0001 yeast instead, or stick with the WLP810 for a more lager like fermentation, even though I plan to ferment at 68 degrees.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Revised "Lanwmower" Austin Summer Session Ale
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:02:30 pm »
Saaz isn't much of a bittering hop, but you could put most of your hops toward the bittering charge instead of flavor. I'm wary of "earthy" type hops because if one isn't careful they end up with a brew that tastes of dirt.

The fermentation profile for that yeast is 58-65F. I'd suggest another yeast like cali ale if you can't do lower than 68F.

I'm just down the road in SA. Will be 90 today. Not doing much good for those without temp control. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis