Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American wheat  (Read 9297 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: American wheat
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:27 am »
I've done a few all grain versions of this American Wheat, which my is not my favorite style, but my wife really likes it (along w/ hefes and wits).  I do all grain versions of this, so this is a stab at an extract version:

6.5 lbs  Liquid Wheat Extract
8oz Munich Malt
4 oz Crystal 10
1 oz Tettnang @ 60min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
Safale US-05/ Wyeast 1056/ WLP 001

My AG recipe changes all the time, but this would be one of the versions I've done.  I mostly change the hops and try different combos, but to match my wife's requests I keep the IBU's low and try to give it a citrus aroma and flavor to it.  I've also used Kolsch yeast (Wyeast 2565) once and it came out great, but then I guess it wouldn't be an "American" wheat.  Also, you may want to add half the extract in the beginning of the boil and the rest with about 20-15 minutes left in the boil to keep the color lower...unless you are going for a darker color.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:07:43 am by thebigbaker »
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 01:38:17 pm »
I  appreciate  all the useful info I. think I may do a 5 gal american wheat. And a 3 gal "american" dunkelweizen. I found that my knowledge of beer types is lacking since I began to homebrew. I enjoy learning and being educated by the patient experts on this site
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 01:50:04 pm »
I  appreciate  all the useful info I. think I may do a 5 gal american wheat. And a 3 gal "american" dunkelweizen. I found that my knowledge of beer types is lacking since I began to homebrew. I enjoy learning and being educated by the patient experts on this site

Another good way to learn about beer styles is "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. It has gotten me brewing beer styles that I didn't know very well. I would say its a must for making your own recipes.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »
I learned about styles by reading the BJCP style guidelines.  I'd read the description of the various styles and if one looked interesting I'd go get 1 or 2 of the commercial examples to taste.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 02:44:23 pm »
I've made a dunkel with 001. It was very good. I don't make it often, because I'm not that much of a wheat fan anymore.

I do not like 3068.

I have success with WY1010 - American Wheat.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 02:59:10 pm »
I've made a dunkel with 001. It was very good. I don't make it often, because I'm not that much of a wheat fan anymore.

I do not like 3068.

I have success with WY1010 - American Wheat.

I'll have to give that a try. I just don't care for the banana/clove flavor that 3068 yields.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 03:19:21 pm »
On any of the hefe strains, I ferment low, around 60F to decrease the banana flavors... I like wheats, but not such a strong banana...I think 60F or close to it is a nice balance of clove/banana/bubblegum.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »
So after reading everybody's suggestions we have decide to go with two separate beers
an "American" wheat beer (5gal)  and dunkelweizen (3gal) the dunkelwiezen has not been scaled down for a 3 gal batch yet. Do these ingredients make sense

970 American Wheat Recipe
6.5 lbs  Liquid Wheat Extract
8oz Munich Malt
4 oz Crystal 10
.5  oz Chinook @ 60min
.5 oz Chinook  @20 min ?
1 oz Tettnanger  10 min
Safale US-05
Steep munich and crystal for 30min
Add extract and hops  boil for 60min
1st fermenter 7days
2nd fermenter 14days

Bernstein Weizen Dunkleweizen
6.6 pounds, wheat malt extract
   1/2 pound, crystal malt
 1/2lb pale malt
 1 pound, wheat malt
1/4 pound, chocolate  malt                                                                                                                                        1 oz, of Hallertauer (US) 60min                                                                 .5oz  Willamette 20min
.5oz  Willamette 5min
WY1010 - American Wheat.
Steep specialty grains for 30mins @ 150
7days prime
10-14 days 2nd

For a 3gal batch should i boil 3+gal or should i only boil 2gal and some cold water to the carboy?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
American wheat
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »
A dunkelweIzen should be 30-50% Munich and/ or Vienna malt.  I don't think you want any chocolate in there at all.  And you should use a German wheat yeast for the banana/clove character.  Forget about the fermentation schedule you have listed and do what the beer tells you to do.  I'd go 3 weeks primary and no secondary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:20:38 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 10:40:12 pm »
Ok thanks for the suggestions here is updated recipe scaled down for a 3gal batch. The chocolate malt was mainly for color. It seems like the recipes i have found wanted some dark roasted malts and left out the Munich and/or Vienna but I think your ideas seem more logical.
Bernstein Weizen Dunkleweizen
4 pounds, wheat malt extract
   1 lb pound Munich
    1/3lb pale malt
    .60 pounds, wheat malt
   0.15lb black patent
    1 oz, of Hallertauer (US) 60min                                     
.5oz  Willamette 5min
WY1010 - American Wheat or German wheat yeast

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 08:23:45 am »
I can see where this can get confusing. definitely don't use black patent. I think a little chocolate wheat would be ok for the style. Briess has a "midnight wheat" and a "blackprinz wheat" that will add color and chocolate flavor but is mellow on the roast, which is what you want. In low doses you will get almost no roast character from it.

A traditional dunkleweizen would be something like 40% munich and 60% wheat or dark wheat with maybe a small amount of pils thrown in for the enzymes. A small amount of carafa special huskless or even cholcolate wheat could also be added to darken the color whithout adding roast character. But you may have a difficult time brewing this to style via extract. I would try a mini mash with Munich and wheat, or dark wheat and then add the rest a wheat extract and a small amount of the roasted malts I mentioned above (choc. wheat, the briess specialty malts or carafa special).

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 08:33:49 am »
Like Denny stated above, skip the secondaries and just leave in primary for 3 weeks. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 08:36:21 am »
I like the KISS approach. 50% wheat, 50% Munich and a touch of chocolate (1-2% at most).

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 08:56:11 am »
I like the KISS approach. 50% wheat, 50% Munich and a touch of chocolate (1-2% at most).

So ... 101-102%?  ;)

That's a great approach but it's difficult to do with extract, unless there is a 100% wheat extract and 100% munich extract. Problem is, most wheat extracts are a blend of pils and wheat malt. Still, I don't think the wehat adds that much to the style, you could go 50% wheat extract and 50% munich extract. the yeast is the key here.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:50 am »

So ... 101-102%?  ;)

That's a great approach but it's difficult to do with extract, unless there is a 100% wheat extract and 100% munich extract. Problem is, most wheat extracts are a blend of pils and wheat malt. Still, I don't think the wehat adds that much to the style, you could go 50% wheat extract and 50% munich extract. the yeast is the key here.

OK, how about equal parts of Munich and Wheat, then add in about 1-2% chocolate. Capisce :D