Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cherries in the snow  (Read 14411 times)

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Cherries in the snow
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »
I did think of frozen cherries, but then they would not have been sour.  Whatever sour means... probably not candied?

What you might do is make a simple syrup and macerate the frozen cherries in it for up to a week. Then drain and reserve the liquid. Add cherries as recipe states. Then use the cherry simple syrup as priming sugar for bottles or keg.

Cherry priming sugar?!?! oh the possibilities are raging in my head!!!
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »
I did think of frozen cherries, but then they would not have been sour.  Whatever sour means... probably not candied?
Sour means ... sour, or tart. Certain cherry varieties have a more tart flavor.  I'd all juice and all, lots of sugars and flavors in that syrup. Some of the sugars will be from the cherries too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 06:30:00 am »
There are sweet cheeries for eating, then there are the tart pie cherries like Montmorency and Balaton. I really like the Balaton in meads.
http://www.michiganbalatoncherries.com/

The early hot weather caused the trees to bloom, then the hard frosts/freezes have wiped out 90% of this years crop.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 10:44:44 am »
The early hot weather caused the trees to bloom, then the hard frosts/freezes have wiped out 90% of this years crop.
Oh no!  Sounds like the WA cherries will be expensive this year.  The weather has been great so far, my trees are in full bloom.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 10:51:56 am »
Oh no!  Sounds like the WA cherries will be expensive this year.  The weather has been great so far, my trees are in full bloom.
Michigan does grow a lot of pie cherries, either first or second in the country.  WA grows more cherries, but a lot of that is the eating variety.  Rainier cherries are one of my favorites for eating. Yum.

Edit - the wife may have just picked up the 4 lb box of dried Balatons for a reason. She also got a 4 lb. box of chocolate covered dried Balatons - double yum!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:54:39 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »
Michigan does grow a lot of pie cherries, either first or second in the country.  WA grows more cherries, but a lot of that is the eating variety.  Rainier cherries are one of my favorites for eating. Yum.

Edit - the wife may have just picked up the 4 lb box of dried Balatons for a reason. She also got a 4 lb. box of chocolate covered dried Balatons - double yum!
Yeah, we get a lot of eating cherries but you can find local sour cherries if you look.

The most interesting sweet ones I've tried were Van cherries, the orchard where we got them uses them as pollinators and leaves the fruit for the birds because it is too soft to sell.  But we (meaning a guy from the club) picked 30 lbs or so and we put them in a barrel with a BDS for ~18 months.  Try it at the conference :)  They kegged it this past weekend, I heard it's delicious!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 06:57:12 pm »

Yeah, we get a lot of eating cherries but you can find local sour cherries if you look.

The most interesting sweet ones I've tried were Van cherries, the orchard where we got them uses them as pollinators and leaves the fruit for the birds because it is too soft to sell.  But we (meaning a guy from the club) picked 30 lbs or so and we put them in a barrel with a BDS for ~18 months.  Try it at the conference :)  They kegged it this past weekend, I heard it's delicious!
Cool stuff.  I will try that. Might bring some of my mead that had Balatons in it just because.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:18 pm »
Cool stuff.  I will try that. Might bring some of my mead that had Balatons in it just because.  ;)
Fantastic 8)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline scott

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 07:40:53 am »
I'm confused about the recipe.  Is it 8.5 lbs of LME in 1.5 gallons of water?  That seems way to concentrated to me. 
Scott

Offline frochild

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 02:27:34 pm »
I double checked and it is 1.5 gallons of water.  I think it has to do with getting the temperature where you want it as to avoid setting the pectin. I think I should have used the juice in the jars because the temp I got was 179 when it should have been closer to 160.

Cheers