Author Topic: Undermodified pils malt?  (Read 2971 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
Undermodified pils malt?
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered before, but my google skills fail me.

Does anyone know of any supplier for undermodified pils malt? Does such a thing exist anymore?

I've seen floor-malted Bohemian pils from a few stores. Is that the same, or is it pretty well-modified?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: Undermodified pils malt?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »
Weyermann has a Bohemian Pilsner Malt that is slightly undermodified and is suitable for use with a decoction mash.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=203&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2
Ron Price

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
Floor Malted is not the same. Its the technique used in the malting process. I generally prefer floor malted stuff, like Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pils Malt or Warminster Maris Otter. It is fully modified IIRC.

Briess does make an undermodified Pils Malt but it is the only one I know of. Ive thought about getting some to see if decocting really makes a difference in flavor with undermodifed as opposed to using fully modified malt.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »
Weyermann has a Bohemian Pilsner Malt that is slightly undermodified and is suitable for use with a decoction mash.

I found this: http://www.weyermann.de/downloads/pdf/Voigt_Poster_Trends%20in%20Brewing%20Ghent%202010.pdf

I'll probably go with that if I can't find anything less modified.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »

I found this: http://www.weyermann.de/downloads/pdf/Voigt_Poster_Trends%20in%20Brewing%20Ghent%202010.pdf

Yes it's slightly undermodified and a good fit for a Czech Pils.

Try here.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/grain-malts/base-malts/weyermann-floor-malted-bohemian-pilsner-malt.html
Ron Price

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:52 PM »
Briess does make an undermodified Pils Malt but it is the only one I know of. Ive thought about getting some to see if decocting really makes a difference in flavor with undermodifed as opposed to using fully modified malt.

That's what I'm trying to do. I looked into the Briess. I didn't see it on their website. Do you know of anyone carrying it?

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Ron Price

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »

One interesting thing to note is that they don't do a traditional triple decoction.  There are no steps between 100 and 149 F, other than the ramp up of the decoction to boil.
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »
One interesting thing to note is that they don't do a traditional triple decoction.  There are no steps between 100 and 149 F, other than the ramp up of the decoction to boil.

The Kolbach is listed as 38. From Noonan: "Malts destined for infusion mashing should have an SNR of 36-42%,. . . For traditional lager malts, 30-33% indicates undermodification, and 37-40% indicates overmodification."

I was hoping to find some of the "traditional lager malts" he's talking about, in the 34-36% range, but I don't think those exist anymore.

I found this spec sheet for the Briess pilsen malt. It looks pretty good, even though the Kolbach is 37. http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_PilsenMalt.pdf
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:03:57 PM by nateo »

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »
I was hoping to find some of the "traditional lager malts" he's talking about, in the 34-36% range, but I don't think those exist anymore.

What are you trying to achieve with the lower diastatic power? You might be able to lower the overall conversion potential of the mash by adding some Munich, Vienna or light toasted malt.

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 05:36:43 AM »
Austin Homebrew Supply has the Briess undermodified Pils on sale for $0.99/lb.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12808

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 06:59:25 AM »
4swan - The Briess "undermodified" malt still has a Kolbach index of 37, which is "overmodified" by traditional lager malt standards. It's less modified than most malt, but still more modified than I was hoping to find.

Thomas - Low DP is not the reason I'm trying to find poorly modified malt. There are low-DP, highly modified malts, like some British pale malts. I'm looking for malt with a low soluble nitrogen ratio, suitable for traditional decoction mashing. 

Online morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 07:54:31 AM »
4swan - The Briess "undermodified" malt still has a Kolbach index of 37, which is "overmodified" by traditional lager malt standards. It's less modified than most malt, but still more modified than I was hoping to find.

Thomas - Low DP is not the reason I'm trying to find poorly modified malt. There are low-DP, highly modified malts, like some British pale malts. I'm looking for malt with a low soluble nitrogen ratio, suitable for traditional decoction mashing.

looks like maybe it's time to get that old two bucket malting bucket setup out and roll your own. If'n ya can't buy y'just might havta make yer own
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 07:57:46 AM »
looks like maybe it's time to get that old two bucket malting bucket setup out and roll your own. If'n ya can't buy y'just might havta make yer own

A year or two ago I came across the website for some guy who made his own countertop "floor" malting system. It looked really sweet. Any idea where I can buy raw Bohemian barley?

I can get raw 6-row at the Mennonite store down the road, but I don't know how good that'll be for what I'm trying to do.