Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: should i add a infusion tea before bottling?  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
should i add a infusion tea before bottling?
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:13:27 am »
hi everyone, i made a mistake in my last brew: while i was brewing a witbier i decided to open a beer, then a second one, a third one (in the boiling process) so, when i was closing the fermentor after i pitched the yeast... gsus!, i forgot to add the coriander and orange peel!!!
So, my question is, can i make a tea infusion with these spices and then add it to the bottom of the bottling bucket just before i add the sugar and the beer?? should it help to flavor while conditioning in bottle? or just save it for my next brew....
im bottling tomorrow

thanks!
saludosss
Al
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:48:47 pm by Al Equihua »
Al Equihua

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: should i add a infusion tea before bottling?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:17:29 am »
If I were doing this, I would make the tea with those spices, and add a bit of it to a small glass of the witbier just to make sure it tastes right. I don't think you will have a problem though.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:29:00 am »
I think I would leave it out... or at least the orange peel.

The reason is this;
The orange peel in wit beer is not there to add orange flavour. Any citrus flavour should be coming from the corriander. The orange peel is actually there for bitterness and I don't think you would get much bitterness from a tea.

but if you want to I would try Garc's suggestion and dose a commercial example as a test first.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:21:24 pm »
well, so i"ll be trying a little bit with a sample and let you know how it ends
thanks!

Al
Al Equihua

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »

The reason is this;
The orange peel in wit beer is not there to add orange flavour. Any citrus flavour should be coming from the corriander. The orange peel is actually there for bitterness and I don't think you would get much bitterness from a tea.
That's not how it works in my wit - the sweet orange and grapefruit zest definitely provide citrus notes.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:22:02 pm »
I think Morti is talking about bitter orange peel. If you want to know what flavors it will add, you can chew on bitter orange peel (I only recommend doing this once). It tastes like cardboard, only bitter, and just a little bit like orange. Sweet orange peel tastes quite like oranges.

I recently made a wit with 1g/gal of each, bitter orange peel, and coriander. That's the least amount of spice I've ever used, and it turned out the best of any wit I've made. It's easy to overdo the spices. 

As for the OP's situation, I'd probably add the spices to the hot bottling sugar, steep for 10min or so, then bottle.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 01:27:20 pm »
As for the OP's situation, I'd probably add the spices to the hot bottling sugar, steep for 10min or so, then bottle.

i was thinking that procedure too, but i was a little confused about the results dextrose-coriander-dried bitter orange peel,...
Al Equihua

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 01:41:11 pm »
I think Morti is talking about bitter orange peel. If you want to know what flavors it will add, you can chew on bitter orange peel (I only recommend doing this once). It tastes like cardboard, only bitter, and just a little bit like orange. Sweet orange peel tastes quite like oranges.
Right, it depends on the orange peel he's using and he hadn't specified.

I would soak them in boiling water or vodka and dose it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »
Too much coriander tastes a lot like soap. The first wit I entered in a contest, I got like a 10, and on my scorecard the judge wrote "You should rinse the dishsoap out of your bottles before bottling." I think I used a half ounce in a 5 gallon batch.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
should i add a infusion tea before bottling?
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 02:07:27 pm »

The reason is this;
That's not how it works in my wit - the sweet orange and grapefruit zest definitely provide citrus notes.

Yeah, but you're using sweet orange, you heathen!  The dried orange peel is from bitter oranges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 01:36:02 am »
it turns good afterall, i make an infusion and tastes greats, i add it chamomille also a little bit of pepercorns
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:01:34 am by Al Equihua »
Al Equihua

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:55 am »
it turns good afterall, i make an infusion and tastes greats, i add chamomille also a little bit o pepercorns

nice, sounds tasty.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce