Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2012 SN Hoptimum  (Read 13769 times)

Offline heavyeng

• Cellarman
2012 SN Hoptimum
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:47:51 am »
I always seem to miss it...not this time. ;D

I bought the last 4 pack in Dover.

Statewide there was only 10 cases allotted...maybe when the new site in NC goes operational we'll see more of the seasonal stuff.
Beer...It isn't just for breakfast anymore.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Re: 2012 SN Hoptimum
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:55:13 am »
My brother in-law swears by this beer. He even bought two cases last year.  That's a lot of money.  For me, I can taste a bit too much of the alcohol, and the finish has too much of a dry hoppy bite to it. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:25:26 pm »
  For me, I can taste a bit too much of the alcohol 

that's what I recall about this one - but I will be buying again - supposedly, it will be in 12oz 4packs this year?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline heavyeng

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:07:49 pm »
Yep 4 packs.

Offline heavyeng

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »
I didn't get too much of the alcohol bite at 10%.

I have nothing bad to say about this beer other than I probably won't get any more this year!

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:29:45 pm »
  For me, I can taste a bit too much of the alcohol 

that's what I recall about this one - but I will be buying again - supposedly, it will be in 12oz 4packs this year?

I'll give the 2012 version another try this year. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:37:39 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up.  I put in a call to the beer maven at my goto beer store.  If any lands here I'll get some.  Woo hoo!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 01:55:56 pm »
My beer store tells me this will be available through ~ June this year in the 4-packs. It's widely availble now, even the supermarkets have it.

Haven't had it bottled yet this year but on tap it was wonderful.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:43:20 am »
I also haven't seen this beer yet, but I'll be sure to keep a lookout for it. Thanks!  :)
Ron Price

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 07:02:53 am »
I really enjoy seeking out the next big hop bomb of the year, and there's a lot to choose from! Zombie Dust, Hopslam, Ruination, Two-Hearted, etc.

I put "Hoptimum" on this level of great, hoppy beers. The opinions from Rate Beer may not agree, but I think the grading has a lot to do with supply/demand and buzz around the beer.

After more than 30 years of great beers and expansion, Ken Grossman and the team at SN are still striving for (and acheiving) a better tasting, fresher beer. Cheers to them!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 05:53:14 am »
I picked up a four pack of it and drank one yesterday.  Very tasty, boldly hoppy, and not too much alcohol taste.  It's still very strong though, packing quite a wallop.  This one is to be slowly drank and savored. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 07:48:17 am »
Picked up a bottle of this beer last weekend.  I have to give it two mugs up. SN crafted on fine DIPA. 

The hop aroma is very fruity and pleasant.  This beer has a carnival of hoppy goodness. It has an orange glow with a moderate white head.  The flavor is bursting with citrus hoppiness while a firm bitterness sets in.  The maltiness is supportive but takes a back seat to the hoppy character.  The finish is somewhat grassy and a light alcohol warming emerges.  This beer can be dangerous.  I really enjoyed this beer.  I would love to have a keg of this beer on rotation in my house.  I would also like to have a clone recipe for this wonderfully crafted beer.  :) 

Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 01:57:31 pm »
The maltiness is supportive but takes a back seat to the hoppy character.   

I agree that this is a very nice beer.  I really like it a lot.  I would like it more if there was a little more maltiness though.  It seems a bit overbalanced on the hoppy side for an IIPA, IMHO.

That said, I plan to pick up another case of it today.  My goto beer store has 20% off all beer prices on Fridays.  That brings the price down to $2.20/12oz. bottle.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 08:21:26 am »
I really enjoy seeking out the next big hop bomb of the year, and there's a lot to choose from! Zombie Dust, Hopslam, Ruination, Two-Hearted, etc.

I put "Hoptimum" on this level of great, hoppy beers. The opinions from Rate Beer may not agree, but I think the grading has a lot to do with supply/demand and buzz around the beer.

I consider stone ruination to be one of the all time best hop bombs that there is, and it's always available for me, which makes it even better.  Add in that it's only $5.50 a bomber and it's better still.  The stuff is just so incredibly drinkable, with a deliciousness rating that goes all the way to 11. 

Honestly, I don't think hoptimum is nearly as good, but not to say that it's not tasty stuff anyway.

As for the ratings on BA or RB, I always take them with a grain of salt.  There's a bias towards extreme hop bomb IPAs and imperial stouts, whilst other beers tend to be rated in comparison to these (despite the fact that you're supposed to rate "to style").  The normalization score (0-100, in style on RB) helps some though.  Ratings, IMO, are best used to keep track of your beers (I have a lot of ratings, especially on BA).  They are also good to get an idea of whether you should purchase/try an unknown beer. 

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »
Got ahold of some, wanted palate wrecker but it was gone. Not a bad beer. For me no big hop aroma or flavor, can just get a hint of its strength. Does have a very slow to come on nice bitterness that saves it. Needs more hops not malt, would try it again on tap but that's it.