Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat in Belgian  (Read 2929 times)

Offline wiley1

• 1st Kit
Wheat in Belgian
« on: April 07, 2012, 02:12:25 pm »
I have seen in some belgian recipes where both malted and unmalted wheat are used in the same recipe. What is the purpose of this? What does the use of unmalted wheat add to the beer that the malted doesn't?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Wheat in Belgian
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 03:32:39 pm »
Starch. Haziness. Maybe some head formation/retention.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline wiley1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »
So, what would be a good ratio to use of malted wheat to unmalted wheat in a recipe?
1:1?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 05:28:28 pm »
What are you trying to brew? A Wit?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:13:58 pm »
You can use all malted wheat, but at higher percentages. IIRC from "Brewing with Wheat" that's what some breweries do. IMO a short (30min)/no boil (just hot enough to sterilize) on all or part of the beer will give it a really 'fresh' wheat flavor and hazy appearance.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:36:24 am »
Start rant - "EVERY BELGIAN-STYLE BEER DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE WHEAT IN IT !" - end rant  >:(

I feel better now.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 07:37:42 am »
Start rant - "EVERY BELGIAN-STYLE BEER DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE WHEAT IN IT !" - end rant  >:(

True, it's not necessary, but I don't see why any style shouldn't have wheat in it, if you like wheat in your beers. What I find most interesting about Belgian beers is that the brewers brew to taste, not to style. Rigidly defined styles for these beers is antithetical to their heritage.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Wheat in Belgian
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 07:56:08 am »

I feel better now.

Uhm... He said "some" Belgian styles. Last I checked that doesn't mean "every". Most Belgian styles don't use wheat.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 11:40:42 am »
Most Belgian styles don't use wheat.

Exactly my point. Granted my rant was "tongue in cheek" and meant to be an attempt at humor - I do see a lot of homebrewers putting wheat malt in all Belgian inspired beers when not needed.

In fairness to wiley1 he never stated a particular type of Belgian beer so I really don't know the end result he is seeking, but with malted / unmalted wheat in the recipe I think he is referring to Wit, or maybe Lambic.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:44:35 pm »
Raw wheat gives more of a tart flavor than malted wheat.  It also gives a very pale color to a beer, hence the name "wit" or white.  Its almost grey.  I'd use unmalted wheat in a witbier.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO