Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast starters are for real  (Read 5938 times)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Yeast starters are for real
« on: April 07, 2012, 05:26:06 pm »
I know the mafia will say I told you so but yeast starters are for real. I did one for the first time this brew and there was zero lag time. Set the Starter on Tuesday and by Saturday, the brew is fermenting like crazy. I have now seen the starter light! :P
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Yeast starters are for real
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 05:49:43 pm »
I've had that happen when krausening (top-cropping). It is indeed amazing to see them take off in minutes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:52:56 pm »
I have zero reason to never do another starter. It is truly amazingvhowcfast it took off.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:16:28 am »
Is a five day fermentation possible? It OG'd at 1.068 on Saturday and today (Thursday) it is at 1.018 with no action in the vessel. The hydro sample tasted good and wondering if I should go straight to bottle this weekend?
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:18:54 am »
Yes, it's certainly possible.  However I'd still leave it on the yeast for a few more days or a week to let the yeast clean up after themselves and clear up a bit.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:27:24 am »
Yeah, I was sort of thinking the same thing after my excitement wore off.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:38:12 am »
I think the stark reality will rear it's beautiful head when you taste the end result.  :)

It always amazes me to see brewers making beer without the proper amount of healthy yeast.  It's a no brainer IMO.
Ron Price

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:20 am »
I just had to get there first. It has helped in learning what I have done and what can be done in the future by adding a few new things each time. This step however has been the biggest step up to this point. Water composition and treating it will be the next step.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:48:33 am »
I have zero reason to never do another starter. It is truly amazingvhowcfast it took off.
Okay, but you're selling yourself short.  I collect yeast and repitch from the jar, works very well.  I don't think lag time necessarily determines the quality of the beer either.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:51:53 am »
It always amazes me to see brewers making beer without the proper amount of healthy yeast.  It's a no brainer IMO.

I would qualify that as its amazing to see experienced brewers making beer without the proper amount of healthy yeast.

It's a learning curve, and it doesn't amaze me at all to see people starting out pitching a smack pack.  I did it.  You did it.  Admit it.  You know you did.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:35 am »

I would qualify that as its amazing to see experienced brewers making beer without the proper amount of healthy yeast.

It's a learning curve, and it doesn't amaze me at all to see people starting out pitching a smack pack.  I did it.  You did it.  Admit it.  You know you did.

Yes, but when I started it was all dry yeast.  I learned just as most brewers do...my first liquid yeast pitch was without a starter, but I quickly learned from others that starters are critical to cleaner tasting beer.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:24:34 am »
Yeah it's almost required with liquid yeast unless you want to brew just a couple gallon.

And despite the date on the package usually the yeast need to be encouraged, reinvigorated and multiply a bit. Get real active after a long sleep.

My brewing tends to be a bit spontaneous so I keep dry yeast around. If I plan it out a starter gets made.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:54:10 am »

Yes, but when I started it was all dry yeast.  I learned just as most brewers do...my first liquid yeast pitch was without a starter, but I quickly learned from others that starters are critical to cleaner tasting beer.

You learned more quickly than I did.  I probably brewed for around 10 years before making a starter.

Though, once I first read about them in BYO I went ahead and made one up in a growler.  Haven't looked back since.

I'm not suggesting its not a good practice, just saying that it doesn't surprise me to see people starting out learning the same way we all did.  Except there weren't great forums back when I was learning as I don't think Al Gore had invented the internet yet.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »
For me it was all just steps along the path. 

First batch was dry yeast and turned out well.  The second (and many after that) were just a smack pack or single tube of liquid yeast and my beer tasted even better.  Later, I tried making a starter and got even better results.  At some point I started all-grain and now I never make a beer without a starter and am getting quite a collection of gadgets.

Small steps get you there.  Everyone at their own pace.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

narvin

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 12:10:35 pm »
Okay, but you're selling yourself short.  I collect yeast and repitch from the jar, works very well.  I don't think lag time necessarily determines the quality of the beer either.

Well, yes, but you're (hopefully) pitching an appropriate amount of yeast, just with another method.  I assume he meant he wouldn't pitch just the 1 vial/smack pack anymore.