Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast starters are for real  (Read 5936 times)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Re: Yeast starters are for real
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 01:01:52 pm »
I have zero reason to never do another starter. It is truly amazingvhowcfast it took off.
Okay, but you're selling yourself short.  I collect yeast and repitch from the jar, works very well.  I don't think lag time necessarily determines the quality of the beer either.

Well, yes, but you're (hopefully) pitching an appropriate amount of yeast, just with another method.  I assume he meant he wouldn't pitch just the 1 vial/smack pack anymore.

It was one vial exploding all over me that changed my process. It takes 15 minutes to get the yeast set on a good path and I am now all about it.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Yeast starters are for real
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 01:38:36 pm »
It always amazes me to see brewers making beer without the proper amount of healthy yeast.  It's a no brainer IMO.

I would qualify that as its amazing to see experienced brewers making beer without the proper amount of healthy yeast.

It's a learning curve, and it doesn't amaze me at all to see people starting out pitching a smack pack.  I did it.  You did it.  Admit it.  You know you did.

Yes, but when I started it was all dry yeast.  I learned just as most brewers do...my first liquid yeast pitch was without a starter, but I quickly learned from others that starters are critical to cleaner tasting beer.

You learned more quickly than I did.  I probably brewed for around 10 years before making a starter.

Though, once I first read about them in BYO I went ahead and made one up in a growler.  Haven't looked back since.

I'm not suggesting its not a good practice, just saying that it doesn't surprise me to see people starting out learning the same way we all did.  Except there weren't great forums back when I was learning as I don't think Al Gore had invented the internet yet.

I can certainly understand why beginner brewers wouldn't use a starter.  However with the resources available today(Forums, internet, books, etc...) it's       
a lot easier to become schooled in brewing. Plenty of healthy yeast is paramount to producing great beer. Yeast is right up there next to sound sanitation and fermentation temp control IMO. It's a lot to grasp as a beginner but not out of the realm of possibilities.
Ron Price

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 02:08:21 pm »
Yes, but when I started it was all dry yeast. 

Just curious if you're saying that's all you used when you starter, or that's all that was available.

Cause I was getting liquid yeast back in the early 90s, so I know it was available.

Of course, the extract was all pretty much old cans of John Bull with a packet of dry ale yeast taped to the top.  Times have changed.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 02:33:37 pm »
Yes, but when I started it was all dry yeast. 

Just curious if you're saying that's all you used when you starter, or that's all that was available.

Cause I was getting liquid yeast back in the early 90s, so I know it was available.

Of course, the extract was all pretty much old cans of John Bull with a packet of dry ale yeast taped to the top.  Times have changed.

What I meant was that's what I used in the early 90's.  I've only been using liquid yeast for the last 10 years or so.

In the early 90's I used a lot of John Bull kits.  It wasn't bad, but we've come a long way since then.
Ron Price

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »
That's what I figured.  You don't look like you're old enough to have been brewing back in the 70s!

I don't think I was even aware of the concept of a starter until 2003 or so.

I started brewing with a guy who wouldn't touch dry yeast, so we always used liquid.  It's been Wyeast since the get go.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 03:12:16 pm »
Liquid yeast might have been available to YOU in the early 90s, but I never saw any until later.  The shop I started going to in Allentown PA from 1990-~1993 had brown hops in paper bags and packs of dried yeast.  You got what you got.  Sounds like you had a better homebrew shop.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 03:17:39 pm »
Brew and Grow.  I still shop there.

For some reason, they also carried a wide variety of hot sauces back then.  So we'd get a couple bottles that would go on burritos at 2 or 3am. 911 Sauce, Hot b**** at the Beach, stuff like that.

Those were the days.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 03:16:14 am »
I have zero reason to never do another starter. It is truly amazingvhowcfast it took off.
Okay, but you're selling yourself short.  I collect yeast and repitch from the jar, works very well.  I don't think lag time necessarily determines the quality of the beer either.

Well, yes, but you're (hopefully) pitching an appropriate amount of yeast, just with another method.  I assume he meant he wouldn't pitch just the 1 vial/smack pack anymore.

Yes, I am done with the single packs and with how easy a starter is, that is my route from now on.  I also don't see a need for lag time if I can properly avoid it with the right amount of yeast.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 08:36:22 am »
I am mentoring someone who is where I was three years ago (although I've never used Wyeast, so the "smack pack" stuff is all his).

Him (accompanied by picture of carboy): why hasn't my beer started fermenting yet?
Me: (among other questions) did you make a starter?
Him: I smacked the smack pack.
Me: next time, make a starter.
Him (a few hours later, new picture, this time with krausen): look, it finally started, 12 hours later!
Him: thanks for your help! I love brewing!

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member