Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smoked Beer Ideas  (Read 5876 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Smoked Beer Ideas
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 06:05:07 am »
Use a fruit wood such as cherry or apple and add that fruit to the secondary as well - or smoke the fruit and add some of it to the mash, some to the secondary.

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 01:17:30 pm »
I smoke my own malt (Maris Otter) for a robust porter that I brew.  It use cherry, peach, apple and yes, hickory.  I spray the malts with water to catch as much smoke flavor as possible.  I only use 20% of the smoke malt in the recipe and it has enough smoke to be assertive but not as much as say Schlenkerla Rauchbier.  It really reminds me of pork bbq, so if that's what you are going for then smoking your own malt might be the ticket.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Smoked Beer Ideas
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 01:27:59 pm »
Everyone seems to cite different intensities when discussing commercial smoked malts like Weyermann's.  I'm not sure why, but I suspect it depends heavily on how long it takes to get to you from the source and how well it was cared for along the way.  Of course, it also depends on the gravity of the beer and the other specialty grains present.

Probably not germane to this discussion, but in my opinion, smoked beer doesn't go very well with smoked meat.  The smoke in one deadens my ability to taste the smoke in the other.  With BBQ, I'd rather have some contrasting sweetness such as you'd get from a Bock or a Belgian Blond or a Tripel.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:09:43 pm »
Everyone seems to cite different intensities when discussing commercial smoked malts like Weyermann's.  I'm not sure why, but I suspect it depends heavily on how long it takes to get to you from the source and how well it was cared for along the way.  Of course, it also depends on the gravity of the beer and the other specialty grains present.

Probably not germane to this discussion, but in my opinion, smoked beer doesn't go very well with smoked meat.  The smoke in one deadens my ability to taste the smoke in the other.  With BBQ, I'd rather have some contrasting sweetness such as you'd get from a Bock or a Belgian Blond or a Tripel.

Exactly.
I think smoked beers go better with Mexican food and just about any cheese.
As far as what to drink with BBQ it depends on the amount of heat.  I'm thinking a pils like Trummer or Prima or even Session from Full Sail would be great with Q.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 06:01:12 pm »
Used 3# of Smoked cherry in a porter.  Found it to be muted.  could be the handling/storage issue. 

Had a Smmoked Marzen from a local brewery that pairs wonderfully with "Q"
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline adama

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 10:33:17 am »
I smoke my own malt (Maris Otter) for a robust porter that I brew.  It use cherry, peach, apple and yes, hickory.  I spray the malts with water to catch as much smoke flavor as possible.  I only use 20% of the smoke malt in the recipe and it has enough smoke to be assertive but not as much as say Schlenkerla Rauchbier.  It really reminds me of pork bbq, so if that's what you are going for then smoking your own malt might be the ticket.

How long did you leave the malt on the smoke? How much do you think 20% would come through in a malty red/amber ale as apposed to your porter? I'm just looking for a hint of smoke here

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 10:02:45 am »

How long did you leave the malt on the smoke? How much do you think 20% would come through in a malty red/amber ale as apposed to your porter? I'm just looking for a hint of smoke here

I make a very small fire on my Big Green Egg and keep the temps under 125 to avoid toasting the malt.  I would say I use a handful of each type of wood and smoke the malt for about 90 minutes.  I spray the malt with distilled water ever 15 minutes and stir it to expose as much of the surface of the grain to the smoke.  I use a screen wire basket so the smoke has to flow through the malt to escape.  At 20%, my smoke malt is very assertive but not over the top.  You can still taste the chocolate malt and the dark crystal.  I would say home smoked malt is at least twice as smokey as Weyermann Rauch malt.  The best gauge is to taste the malt beside some commercially smoked malt and let your tastebuds be your guide.  In an amber beer I would think you would need at least 5% but not more than 10% to have a hint of smoke.  Hope this helps.  It's more art than science.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:04:31 am by dee »