Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Metal rod for measuring volume  (Read 20115 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Metal rod for measuring volume
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 06:59:52 am »
A sight glasses is something else that has to be disassembled and cleaned and can cause a leak. A marked dip stick, spoon, mash paddle, etc. is just so easy and an exact volume measurement isn't really that important anyway.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 07:17:47 am »
Right now I'm just relying on a quick calc of expected preboil volume and the rough knowledge of what boils off in a given amount of time.  But you've given me some food for thought.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 07:23:11 am »
A sight glasses is something else that has to be disassembled and cleaned and can cause a leak. A marked dip stick, spoon, mash paddle, etc. is just so easy and an exact volume measurement isn't really that important anyway.

+1

Plus the wort bubbles out the top of it and makes a mess all over the kettle and the brew stand during the boil. I like the idea for the HLT and MLT but on the boil kettle, it's one more thing to take apart and clean.

I'll stick with eyeballing it in the kettle and my trusty calibration strip on my HLT, complete with "messy" sharpie marker and dremeled numerals. I should post a pic I suppose.

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 07:30:18 am »
All this scribing, dremeling, bolting, slicing, diceing, buying stuff. All I did was pour in a gallon of water, put my wood mash paddel in and pull it out, notched the wet/dry line with my pocket knife, and made 1/2 & 1/4 notches, repeat up to 6 gallons. 3 minutes and free since I already had the mash paddle and pocket knife.

But that's just me...

A pocket knife...that's awfully fancy. You could have used your teeth instead : )

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 07:31:35 am »
Would it be difficult to stamp indentations into a stainless steel pot? Mine is already marked each 2 gallons with indentations.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 09:43:52 am »
I'm inclined to agree with bo and that it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. We want to be in control of the process to be true; but I only really became obsessed with kettle volume when I started with grain and was trying to get the best efficiency and account for it accurately.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 10:12:47 am »
All this scribing, dremeling, bolting, slicing, diceing, buying stuff. All I did was pour in a gallon of water, put my wood mash paddel in and pull it out, notched the wet/dry line with my pocket knife, and made 1/2 & 1/4 notches, repeat up to 6 gallons. 3 minutes and free since I already had the mash paddle and pocket knife.

But that's just me...

A pocket knife...that's awfully fancy. You could have used your teeth instead : )

I cut my notches with my Hatorri Hanzo.  "Haiyah!"
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 10:16:09 am »

I have never disassembled mine and I can't see why I'd need to.  I just rinse it out when I clean my kettle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 10:17:15 am »

+1

Plus the wort bubbles out the top of it and makes a mess all over the kettle and the brew stand during the boil.

Not if you put a little piece of paper towel in the top of it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2012, 10:21:50 am »

+1

Plus the wort bubbles out the top of it and makes a mess all over the kettle and the brew stand during the boil.

Ever the pragmatist! 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2012, 10:24:15 am »

+1

Ever the pragmatist!

+1

Great idea Denny...I'll try that method
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2012, 10:25:30 am »
I just tear off a piece of paper towel maybe an inch wide and 2-3 inches long, roll it up, and stuff it in the end of the sight glass.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2012, 10:43:51 am »

I have never disassembled mine and I can't see why I'd need to.  I just rinse it out when I clean my kettle.

My boil kettle is a Blichmann with the sight glass attached at the top and bottom so wort can actually flow through it. Makes a reading during the boil virtually impossible. But I digress.  I decided a couple batches ago that I ought to disassemble the tube and clean it out. Wow. I'll just say I clean it out after every boil now.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2012, 10:51:56 am »

My boil kettle is a Blichmann with the sight glass attached at the top and bottom so wort can actually flow through it. Makes a reading during the boil virtually impossible. But I digress.  I decided a couple batches ago that I ought to disassemble the tube and clean it out. Wow. I'll just say I clean it out after every boil now.

They can get pretty nasty inside and eventually have no "sight" at all. That and they fog up. Waste of money, IMO.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2012, 11:09:06 am »
We'll see.

www.dennybrew.com