Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Metal rod for measuring volume  (Read 20143 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Metal rod for measuring volume
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2012, 01:45:09 pm »
All this scribing, dremeling, bolting, slicing, diceing, buying stuff. All I did was pour in a gallon of water, put my wood mash paddel in and pull it out, notched the wet/dry line with my pocket knife, and made 1/2 & 1/4 notches, repeat up to 6 gallons. 3 minutes and free since I already had the mash paddle and pocket knife.

But that's just me...

A pocket knife...that's awfully fancy. You could have used your teeth instead : )

I cut my notches with my Hatorri Hanzo.  "Haiyah!"

Barlow ;)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2012, 03:55:56 pm »
All this scribing, dremeling, bolting, slicing, diceing, buying stuff. All I did was pour in a gallon of water, put my wood mash paddel in and pull it out, notched the wet/dry line with my pocket knife, and made 1/2 & 1/4 notches, repeat up to 6 gallons. 3 minutes and free since I already had the mash paddle and pocket knife.

But that's just me...
I like to take a volume reading at the end of my boil.  I don't like the idea of sticking a mash paddle into my sanitary wort after it's been in the bacteria-laden mash.

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2012, 07:50:01 pm »
If you have a separate spoon or use your mash paddle to stir the boil (and leave it in there long enough) it should be well enough sanitized.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 07:57:26 pm »
My mash paddle is wood. I really wouldn't want to stick that in my wort.

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2012, 07:58:57 pm »
OK, you might be right there.  I have a plastic mash paddle and a stainless spoon, so I can always trust that after sanitizing it and boiling it.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2012, 08:10:16 pm »
I agree with a plastic mash paddle as a good measuring device.

The fact is, any kind of calibrated dip stick is better than a breakable, leakable sight glass, in my opinion.

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 07:48:47 am »
I am getting paranoid that in five pages of discussion, nobody has mentioned my technique - a stainless steel tape measure. It's so obvious that it must be wrong somehow....

I don't often measure after KO, but if I do, do so before chilling and I spray it with star san.

Also, this tape measure is dedicated to brewing.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 08:14:14 am »
I am getting paranoid that in five pages of discussion, nobody has mentioned my technique - a stainless steel tape measure. It's so obvious that it must be wrong somehow....

I don't often measure after KO, but if I do, do so before chilling and I spray it with star san.

Also, this tape measure is dedicated to brewing.

A tape measure is a very good idea, but I might opt for a steel or aluminum yard stick, simply because of the sticky wort being sucked back into the tape recoil.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2012, 04:29:29 am »
I use a tape measure as well.  I just give it a quick rinse and wipe off after each dip and let it dry before it gets rolled back up.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 06:44:37 am »
Rather than scratch lines into kettles and MT and have sharpie ink all over the place, I just use a stainless steel ruler:

My 52 quart (13 gallon) MT is 12 1/4" tall.  Keeping things really simple, 13 gallons / 12.25 = 1" per gallon (15/16 if you have OCD).  Same for my 8G kettle: 13" tall / 8 gallons = 1 5/8" per gallon.

By ruler I meant tape measure.  I'm not feeling any love.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2012, 06:57:12 am »
I didn't see what I use, so here is my 2 cents. My Brewery is made from Keggles, I took the SS spear,dip tube, or whatever it's called and notched it with a new hack saw blade.I use a false bottom in the BK, after setting it up I added water 1 gal at a time and held my thumb at the water level then notched.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:19 am »

By ruler I meant tape measure.  I'm not feeling any love.

Doh! Sorry BP79, maybe OCD was kicking in and I didn't see your post. M-Th is always a challenge, because those are my alcohol-free days.

This thread inspired me to go buy a 3' SS yard stick for four bucks, which is stouter than a tape measure and easier to clean.

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2012, 06:43:13 am »
No worries, I don't remember much from my undergrad days, but I do remember my favorite biomechanics prof repeatedly telling me students often over-complicate things. 

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2012, 05:30:18 pm »
Question for the forum:

I am a relatively new all grain brewer and to this point I have been "eyeballing" volumes in my keggle.  Naturally, this has given me mixed result so I want to create i measuring stick taht I can notch/mark at different volumes.  I found a metal rod in my basement that would be perfect for this if I cleaned it up.  It appears to be some sort of generic steel. 

The question is if this metal would have any noticable effect on the beer.  I know its probably not the ideal material, but since it would not contact the wort for very long, would I be OK? 

Thanks

You generally don't want exposed iron, so if you are using an iron or steel (stainless is fine) rod then I would avoid it. 

My solution is simple; I use a long handle plastic spoon and I just drew graduation marks on it with a marker at half gallon increments.  Every ten or fifteen brews I will darken the marks.

Veldy

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2012, 05:32:38 pm »
I use a typical brewing plastic spoon and marked water levels with a sharpie!

http://www.monsterbrew.com/Prod_PlasticSpoon.cfm

+1

Veldy