Membership questions? Log in issues? Email

Author Topic: Metal rod for measuring volume  (Read 20845 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1363
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Metal rod for measuring volume
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:19 pm »
I just use a (spare) tape measure and convert the height of the liquid to volume on a spreadsheet (or in my head if needed).

Post-cool volume measurement is taken from the top of the wort to the top of the kettle (to minimize sanitized wort contact).

Keep the tape clean. If you have a rounded-bottom on your kettle (keggle) you'll have to account for that and always take the measurement in the same place.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments:

Offline snowtiger87

  • Brewer
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: Metal rod for measuring volume
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2012, 05:15:51 am »
I think a better use for the sight glass is in the mash tun. I don't like to leave much water in there when the sparge is done and since I can't "see" the water level in the mash after if has gone under the grain level that is what I intend to use the site gauge for.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout