Author Topic: Metal rod for measuring volume  (Read 8704 times)

Offline ultravista

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Metal rod for measuring volume
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 06:46:26 AM »
Who sells a good sight glass? Are there any made from glass vs. plastic?

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 07:17:44 AM »
Question for the forum:

I am a relatively new all grain brewer and to this point I have been "eyeballing" volumes in my keggle.  Naturally, this has given me mixed result so I want to create i measuring stick taht I can notch/mark at different volumes.  I found a metal rod in my basement that would be perfect for this if I cleaned it up.  It appears to be some sort of generic steel. 

The question is if this metal would have any noticable effect on the beer.  I know its probably not the ideal material, but since it would not contact the wort for very long, would I be OK? 

Thanks

Here's what I did for my HLT. You could do the same for your kettle but use a piece of stainless steel from McMaster Carr. I would not use mild steel.

I think the key, particularly if you are an all grain brewer is to use your strike and sparge volumes along with losses to grains to calculate your run off and start there. I don't have any sight glass or volume indications with my boil kettle and I eyeball it based on landmarks inside the kettle.

For my HLT I used a strip of aluminum and calibrated it using water. I bent the top over the edge of the kettle, drilled a hole in the end, tapped it for 1/4-20 and added a small stainless bolt with a stop nut to hold it to the side of the kettle at the top.

I made marks using a scribe during calibration. Afterwards I hard scribed the lines using a straight edge and a scribe and added numbers using a Dremel and a small carbide burr. I later made them more readable using a red sharpie.

For a boil kettle I'd probably not bother with the sharpie treatment or any other markings besides 5 through 8 gallons assuming 5 gallons is your batch size.

Personally I have always eyeballed it referencing kettle handle rivets on my old 10gal kettle and now a weld mark on my new 15gal Keggle. I nail my volumes consistently once I have this figured out and take losses into account but I'm really not bothered of I miss. Even if it's 3/4 gallons or so, that's ok with me. I just make note of the boil time, sparge volume, or other parameter that effected it and plan accordingly next time.

Cheers

Growing Centennial, Columbus and Chinook hops.
Brewing IPA, APA, Dead Guy clone, and American Wheat most of the time.
Located in Three Rivers MI

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
Maybe I'll make a sinker line and do a "Mark Twain" method of determining BK volume.
Nice history behind the name "Mark Twain", by the way, for those who are inclined and got the time--check it out online.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
Here's what I use.  I filled up my keggle one gallon of water at a time and marked my old plastic spoon at each increment.  I have 2 different shaped keggles, so I have 2 different plastic spoons with marking hanging there next to my mash paddle.

Scott B

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 03:24:52 AM »

Bobby at brewhardware.com. I've got a couple of his sightglass kits waiting to be installed on my keggles as soon as I can get them to my welder.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline BP79

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 06:44:33 AM »
Rather than scratch lines into kettles and MT and have sharpie ink all over the place, I just use a stainless steel ruler:

My 52 quart (13 gallon) MT is 12 1/4" tall.  Keeping things really simple, 13 gallons / 12.25 = 1" per gallon (15/16 if you have OCD).  Same for my 8G kettle: 13" tall / 8 gallons = 1 5/8" per gallon. 

Online bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 06:45:29 AM »
Here's what I use.  I filled up my keggle one gallon of water at a time and marked my old plastic spoon at each increment.  I have 2 different shaped keggles, so I have 2 different plastic spoons with marking hanging there next to my mash paddle.

Very practical Scott.  :)

I also like the idea that was mentioned earlier in the thread...I believe it was Tom, but using the top of the kettle as the reference and measuring down to the liquid level.
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 08:22:24 AM »
Your plastic spoon and mine must be made of different materials, or the sharpie I used was somehow different than the marker you used.  I cannot get the black marks to stay on the mash spoon.  Otherwise, I'd do the same.  I'm not wild about putting sharpie phenols into my beer again, though.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »
Your plastic spoon and mine must be made of different materials, or the sharpie I used was somehow different than the marker you used.  I cannot get the black marks to stay on the mash spoon.  Otherwise, I'd do the same.  I'm not wild about putting sharpie phenols into my beer again, though.
Sharpie marker doesn't stay on very well while the spoon is wet, but a couple more applications after it's dry does the job!   ;)
Scott B

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »
That could well have been the case.  Maybe I'll bring the blow dryer next time to make sure the surface of the spoon is completely dry (as is the sharpie mark).

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »
All this scribing, dremeling, bolting, slicing, diceing, buying stuff. All I did was pour in a gallon of water, put my wood mash paddel in and pull it out, notched the wet/dry line with my pocket knife, and made 1/2 & 1/4 notches, repeat up to 6 gallons. 3 minutes and free since I already had the mash paddle and pocket knife.

But that's just me...
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »

I really don't think you'd want one made out of glass.  I bought one from brewhardware.com and I love it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »
All this scribing, dremeling, bolting, slicing, diceing, buying stuff. All I did was pour in a gallon of water, put my wood mash paddel in and pull it out, notched the wet/dry line with my pocket knife, and made 1/2 & 1/4 notches, repeat up to 6 gallons. 3 minutes and free since I already had the mash paddle and pocket knife.

I did the same except in half gallon increments - and I reached down to the water's surface on the paddle, grabbed it at the water's surface point on the paddle, and cut a notch for each increment.  I know how many notches on my paddle, so I just count down from the topknot.   K.I.S.S.

But that's just me...

Of course you realize you need a dedicated calibrated paddle for each brewing vessel
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 05:53:59 AM »
I really don't think you'd want one made out of glass.  I bought one from brewhardware.com and I love it.

I think I might get one of those!

Intra cervisiam est deus.