Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Professional Brewing texts that you use  (Read 6165 times)

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
  • Great beer - built from the ground up!
Re: Professional Brewing texts that you use
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 12:08:23 am »
Standards of Brewing -- Charlie Bamforth -- great for the more of the "how to's" than the "why's" of QC; then again, the "why's" should be relatively self-explanatory
MBAA Practical Handbook for the Speciality Brewer -- Karl Ockert -- good for a broad perspective on a number of topics, could be a little more in depth

Anything by Bamforth or Lewis is good to have on hand. The CW / JZ Yeast book I found really helpful for yeast lab protocol. Brewing Classic Styles and Designing Great Beers are both good reference points for recipe development (more on the homebrew than pro side of things, though).

I agree with Major on the technical aspects of pro-brewing operations. I've learned more from the Probrewer forum and talking with other brewery owners than I have from any book. The CBC was also incredibly beneficial -- anyone looking to open a craft brewery should attend IMHO.

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 08:14:08 am »
I liked Hand Book Of Brewing, Second Addition. It seemed aimed more at someone aspiring to be pro

+1  -  my #1 go to pro book
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline toddster

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 04:56:20 pm »
"hand book of Brewing". Wondered why I hadn't heard of that one. Then saw the price! $180 bucks! :o

I find that price to be a bargain. I have found out that you pay for knowledge in basically two ways. 1) College or 2) The world of hard knocks. I have found the second to be more costly, since it normally has reduced my working capital.

Todd

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:04 am »
"hand book of Brewing". Wondered why I hadn't heard of that one. Then saw the price! $180 bucks! :o

I find that price to be a bargain. I have found out that you pay for knowledge in basically two ways. 1) College or 2) The world of hard knocks. I have found the second to be more costly, since it normally has reduced my working capital.

Todd

Sure. If you are a pro I can see ordering it, or having your company ordering it. But my point was simply I can see why someone with a background in basic homebrewing had never heard of it. I don't think it is a bargain for a homebrewer at all. For someone going  pro I definitely think a couple good text books are worth the price.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:15:39 am by majorvices »

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:54 pm »
I have the Kunze book coming a great present from my son. I will let you know my thoughts as it should be here in a couple weeks.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 09:10:55 pm »
I have the Kunze book coming a great present from my son. I will let you know my thoughts as it should be here in a couple weeks.

BB are they still printing them? What's the delay?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 09:13:41 pm »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 09:17:40 pm »
I am on the phone. Tiny chat does not work there.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 11:34:53 pm »
OK so I got the Kunze book and after 8 hours with it, I has given me 3 ideas right off the bat. A couple things that I didn't know but common sense would tell you if you sat in a dark room long enough. I have not waded through the technical brewery sections yet, but they seem to be aimed at the large breweries and tell you as much. Is it worth the $200 price I would say it depends, it does go through the processes of malting a full chapter. I say it is worth it if you are a pro brewrer (4th edition 2010) in all aspects, even with water and wastes streams, etc. If you are a homebrewer and want to know what the pros are doing I say spend it.

If you have the extra dough I would buy it. Mine was a gift but I would buy it.