Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour finish in beers using S-05  (Read 13567 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Sour finish in beers using S-05
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:27 am »
I had some tart taste in a Mocktoberfest brewed a little too warm (65F or so).  I blamed it on the fermentation temperature, because I will use US-05 in cream ales all the time (at about 58-59F or lower) without that sharp finish.

I did as well.  It was a split batch 1/2 S-05, the other WLP833.  The lager half turned out great, the ale half had some tartness.  I'm thinking it may be related to sparge pH and the attenuation of the yeast making that fault more noticeable.  I too, ferment S-05 at 65-70F (beer temp) most of the time.

cool it down a bit and I think you will notice it much less. I pitch at 58-60 and ferment at 64 ramping it up only after the krausen starts to fall.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57:51 am »
Since there is this other thread (http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11730.msg146908#msg146908) discussing a tart finish using Nottingham, I'm just curious if this could be related somehow to dry yeast.

I've also gotten tartness from Windsor.

My repertoire of dry yeast is not so broad, but there's three right there that have finished tart. 

I wouldn't have thought of this if these two threads weren't going simultaneously...

I know lots of people have good results with dry yeast and I don't mean to crap all over dry yeast, but...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 10:44:10 am »
I had some tart taste in a Mocktoberfest brewed a little too warm (65F or so).  I blamed it on the fermentation temperature, because I will use US-05 in cream ales all the time (at about 58-59F or lower) without that sharp finish.

I did as well.  It was a split batch 1/2 S-05, the other WLP833.  The lager half turned out great, the ale half had some tartness.  I'm thinking it may be related to sparge pH and the attenuation of the yeast making that fault more noticeable.  I too, ferment S-05 at 65-70F (beer temp) most of the time.

cool it down a bit and I think you will notice it much less. I pitch at 58-60 and ferment at 64 ramping it up only after the krausen starts to fall.

+1

I think Keith is on point here. Give it a shot in your chiller just below 60F next time...Jim.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »

+1

I think Keith is on point here. Give it a shot in your chiller just below 60F next time...Jim.

I will try that with my IPA this weekend.  Not that I would notice any tartness in that hop bomb ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 03:14:38 pm »
I have an APA with some crystal malt (another discussion) going right now at 58F using rehydrated US-05.  I am expecting it to be on the sweet side.  It has been going since Saturday, so I will let it free rise later this weekend or sometime next week when it looks closer to being finished in the primary.  Hopefully it will be tart-free.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 08:14:08 pm »
Something is definitely up.  I split a 10 gallon batch between US05 and WY1450 in a session rye pale ale and the US05 definitely has a tang that I've never tasted before.  I don't get infections.  EVER.  I'd be shocked if that was the case.  There was never any evidence of infection, the fermentation was normal and I kept both beers under identical conditions.  I thought maybe it was just my perception but my friend agreed it tastes twangy.  I wish I'd saved the pack to identity the lot.  It is dry, as expected, but has a tang that the WY1450 does not.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Sour finish in beers using S-05
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 04:52:40 am »
Dee - what temp ate you fermenting the us-05 and what temp did you start it out?

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 05:31:46 pm »
Dee - what temp ate you fermenting the us-05 and what temp did you start it out?

I pitched at 64 in a water bath and let it free rise to about 70 over the course of 5 days.  This was a small beer (1.040) so it was a really quick fermentation with the WY1450 finishing at 1.010 in 3 days.  I haven't brewed this recipe before with the same yeast but the US05 batch had a slight sourness that was not present in the WY1450 batch.  I would not attribute that flavor to the rye although it is possible.  I'm brewing an IPA this week with US05 and I'll definitely be interested to see if I encounter this flavor again. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 05:55:31 pm »
I actually went back and checked my brew log.  I have notes of "tart" or "sour" for Saflager US-56 (S-50), Windsor, and Nottingham going back for years.

I never would have noticed the correlation but for the recent threads.

I also poured a glass of my Nottingham London Pride clone for my wife this weekend.  She liked it and called it nice and tart.

I think I'm done with dry yeast but for emergencies.  At least for a while.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton