Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: coffe syrup  (Read 1596 times)

Offline deanocamino

• 1st Kit
coffe syrup
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:46 am »
Firt time poster and new member so hellow to all.  I am making a American wheat with some fruit puree used for things such as smoothies, which got me wondering what the effects on flavor would be if you used something like a coffee flavoring syrup in a beer. Ya know the fancy stuff starbucks puts in your flavored coffee's.  I have pretty good acess to the stuff and thought something like an english toffee porter would be nice.  I just wonder if it would leave that "exract flavor" behind with it.  Not sure you would want to use it in the boil or not as alot of the flavors might cook off or ferment out.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: coffe syrup
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:43:59 am »
Don't boil it, add it at packaging time.. go sparingly and then up the flavor as you'd like

Alternatively, add your syrup when you pour yourself a glass.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: coffe syrup
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:28:20 pm »
The problem with the syrups is that they have fermentable sugars in them, so you can't really just dose a commercial beer or some of your beer right before bottling to get a true picture of how it will taste in the end. It will dry out once the yeast eat the sugar from the syrup. I'd let your primary finish up, then rack some to a secondary and add the syrup there. If you can split a batch into a couple of mini batches and dose it with different amounts of syrup then that would be even better.

Flavor wise, the best bet probably be to add them at bottling time, but if you do that you'll need to decrease your priming sugar to account for the sugar in the syrup.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer