Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: flaked oats  (Read 9642 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: flaked oats
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 09:39:34 am »
I tried a sample of my recent oatmeal stout which underattenuated at about 1.020, for a 3 gallon BIAB batch and a pound of oats, I couldn't really taste them.  I used quick oats.  Perhaps the underattenuation covers up the flavor/mouth feel you'd get from the oats?

I've never really noticed any flavor or mouthfeel from using oats.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong or maybe my perceptions are screwed up.  Or maybe everyone else in the world is fooling themselves!  ;)

This is why I want to try toasting them.  From what I understand, that will bring out the flavor.

I've never done a side-by-side with an with out, but I do get a very chewy stout with oats.  It's a big beer, though, so perhaps it would be just about the same without.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 08:36:43 am »
OK, so I have a Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale clone on the brewlist for a neighbor.  I'm thinking about toasting the oats as well.  Are you going to do the same as malt?  350-375F for 10 minutes?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 08:55:12 am »
I haven't done it, but I'd go with the advice here:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=13466.msg170930#msg170930

Basically, 350 or so until brown.  10 -15 minutes?  Maybe stir them around once or twice so they get evenly toasted.

I toasted some oak chips once and charred them, so definitely keep an eye on the oats. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 08:59:59 am »
Cool.  When I toast malted barley, I spread on a cookie sheet and go with 350F for 10 minutes.  I'll stick with that.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 10:23:37 am »
Cool.  When I toast malted barley, I spread on a cookie sheet and go with 350F for 10 minutes.  I'll stick with that.

Dave

Dave, oats usually take me around 75 minutes to achieve the nuttiness and color I want. THis is doing 2 lbs at a time on a cookie sheet turning every 15 minutes or so @ 325-350
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 10:25:51 am »

Dave

Dave, oats usually take me around 75 minutes to achieve the nuttiness and color I want. THis is doing 2 lbs at a time on a cookie sheet turning every 15 minutes or so @ 325-350

Jason,

No kidding!  Thanks Jason.  What do you use to turn them?  Spatula?  How critical do you think this is?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 10:30:43 am »

Dave

Jason,

No kidding!  Thanks Jason.  What do you use to turn them?  Spatula?  How critical do you think this is?

Dave

Yes just a spatula. I think its critical to turn them for even browning. Your house should smell like nuts when you do this and the oats should turn golden brown. I also recommend doing it the day before brewday and storing them in a paperbag until you're ready to mash. Keep a watchful eye though, they can go from golden brown to black in a matter of minutes.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 11:23:59 am »
I also recommend doing it the day before brewday and storing them in a paperbag until you're ready to mash.

+1. A pound or two of 350F grains will REALLY screw up your mash temps.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958