Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rhizomes?  (Read 31413 times)

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Rhizomes?
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 12:35:18 pm »
The hallertau are troopers in less then a week I have two tall sprouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Rhizomes?
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 12:44:28 pm »

Mine grow really well. Production of cones is another story.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 12:54:10 pm »

so now I am curious. did your Hallertau not produce any cones? or just a few. I am wondering if it's a dark/light cycle thing. If a variety is bred for a certain latitude it may need more hours of darkness to really produce flowers. If this is the case you might try (and this is going to seem like a huge PITA) trying to create a light tight environment around the bine so that you can extend the hours of darkness beyond what mother nature is providing. If it works it would probably only take an extra hour or so of total darkness.

just a thought
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2012, 01:12:47 pm »

so now I am curious. did your Hallertau not produce any cones? or just a few. I am wondering if it's a dark/light cycle thing. If a variety is bred for a certain latitude it may need more hours of darkness to really produce flowers. If this is the case you might try (and this is going to seem like a huge PITA) trying to create a light tight environment around the bine so that you can extend the hours of darkness beyond what mother nature is providing. If it works it would probably only take an extra hour or so of total darkness.

just a thought
I got a double handful last year off the Hallertau, Tett, EKG. The Euroean varieties don't do well here. Cascades and other US varieties are productive.

I am at 42o3' which should not be a problem.  Aroma hops groen in the USA are mainly the Willamette Valley, which is 44o. The Hallertau is about 480/sup].

Soil and climate are the reasons I wuld think to be the first things to blame.  The hot dry spell we alway get in July-August when the cones are growing is what I blame.  The Hallertau is relatively mild, as is the WIllamette Valley.  They did the hybrids such as Mt. Hood, Liberty, Ultra and so on to get better yields even in the Willamette.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Rhizomes?
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2012, 09:39:31 pm »
In the next couple of years will I get enough hops to make maybe two five gallon batches of homebrew with three plants of hallertau?

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 09:52:21 pm »
Some varieties just don't produce well no matter where they're grown.  Over the past 20 or so years and 20 or more varieties, I've gotten rid of the following:  Hallertau, Tettnang, Saaz (and varieties related), Kent Golding, Willamette, Nuggett and a couple others.  If one plant won't produce at least half-a-pound, they get yanked.  A guy I gave some Hallertau cuttings to down near Pittsburgh had great success.  Was it because he was a little South of me, or the fact that he had them growing in a floodplain?  All you can do is try and make sure you give them at least 3-5 years before you decide to get rid of them.  Grow On!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2012, 06:38:15 am »
Some varieties just don't produce well no matter where they're grown.  Over the past 20 or so years and 20 or more varieties, I've gotten rid of the following:  Hallertau, Tettnang, Saaz (and varieties related), Kent Golding, Willamette, Nuggett and a couple others.  If one plant won't produce at least half-a-pound, they get yanked.  A guy I gave some Hallertau cuttings to down near Pittsburgh had great success.  Was it because he was a little South of me, or the fact that he had them growing in a floodplain?  All you can do is try and make sure you give them at least 3-5 years before you decide to get rid of them.  Grow On!
Saaz only does well in the Zatec region. Itdoes well in the red soil there, and the fields are situated so they are in the right micro-climate (from the "Hop Atlas" by Haas).Your friend may have had a better soil or cool night air coming off the hills.

My Saaz plant died.

ckpash88 - you may get enought for a 5 gallon batch of a German style beer with a low hop rate.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Rhizomes?
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2012, 11:31:37 pm »
Is it expected that only 2 out of 6 plants rhizomes have broken the surface after ten days of being planted?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 12:59:34 am »
Is it expected that only 2 out of 6 plants rhizomes have broken the surface after ten days of being planted?

It's probably fine, give it another 10 days and see what happens.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2012, 09:09:15 am »

Nugget? I'm just north of NYC and my nugget plant used to produce quite a bit. It was only three years old when I moved. I tried to transplant it at the new house but it was one of the ones that didn't make it.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 09:16:05 am »

It took a little more than 2 weeks for the galena rhizomes I planted to break the surface.  Since then they have been growing vigorously.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2012, 10:30:20 am »
Some of mine have begun to sprout what looks an awefull lot like the beginings of cones. I suspect that the hours of light at this time of year, here in northern cali are just a little to short still and it's triggering some flowering behaviour. My fingers are crossed that, as the days get longer they will revert to vegetative growth. It's the cascade and the sterling. The centenial are not doing this.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2012, 11:02:11 am »
Some of mine have begun to sprout what looks an awefull lot like the beginings of cones. I suspect that the hours of light at this time of year, here in northern cali are just a little to short still and it's triggering some flowering behaviour. My fingers are crossed that, as the days get longer they will revert to vegetative growth. It's the cascade and the sterling. The centenial are not doing this.
I can't speak for sterling because my sterling plant died after two years with no hops, but my cascade flower twice in a season. A small amount early and a large amount later, but if i remember right its usually not until the summer before the first flower and late summer fall for the larger amount. I live in New Jersey, around 40°.  I couldn’t tell you if there are any flowers forming right now though because I’ve already broken my promise to tend to them by not stringing them up yet and not checking on them in a week or so. When I get home from work today...
Mark

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Rhizomes?
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:33 am »
Ok so I planted them April 17th which is two weeks ago and I have 3 out of the six showing growth. Two being the hallertau and one cascade plant. Should I have faith in the other three even after two weeks and no sprouts.

Should I expect a certain percentage of plants to be failures?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2012, 12:14:18 am »
Ok so I planted them April 17th which is two weeks ago and I have 3 out of the six showing growth. Two being the hallertau and one cascade plant. Should I have faith in the other three even after two weeks and no sprouts.

Should I expect a certain percentage of plants to be failures?

have faith brother. one of my centennial came up after almost a month.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce