Author Topic: Kegerators--any suggestions?  (Read 19118 times)

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
Re: Kegerators--any suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 07:38:34 AM »
Thanks for the link beersk--I'm leaning towards something like that.  Not cheap with all the upgrades, but... it does sure look good.
You can omit the upgrades if you already have a tower and co2 tank, saves you like $85.  Shipping is the costly part of order a kegerator online. 
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline Delo

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »

Anymore information on who the other names/manufacturers are?  I have a Sanyo 4912.  Would like to have another.

Craig's List if I can't find a new one.
Danby, Haier, Fridgidaier had models similar and I think Kenmore for a while was a Sanyo fridge. I had a hard time finding a new one around that size a few years ago.  It seems like most manufacturers stopped making 5 cu.ft. models.  The ones that i found that were new, were expensive. Most new ones are 4.5 cu.ft.  I found mine on Craigslist. Unfortunately its still in my garage waiting to become a kegerator.  :-\

I'll check out beverage factory.  Open to any and all suggestions.
If you are not against using Craigslist, I would check there.  I see a lot of good(and bad ones) up for sale.

From what I researched a few years ago when I was looking to buy one, Danby, Sanyo, Summit and Beermeister were all good. A lot depended on what kegs you want to use and how many, the types of beer(some were not as good at holding lager temperatures), and where you want to put it, specifically if you plan to install it inside a bar or under the counter somewhere.  My friend has a Danby and loves it. He replaced out the cheaper tower for a metal one, but only uses a single tower with a single sixtel so I'm not sure how much room he has. I'd be interested in an update because if I dont get around to converting the one I have soon, I will probably be buying one.
Mark

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:29 AM »
I liked the look of their Sanyo kegerators when considering the interior.

The "hump" is at the top! Definitely room for three cornies and a tank!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 08:10:10 AM »
Just swung by HD and noted that they had a Danby single tap kegerator.
Originally $499, then $447, today $358 (on clearance).
Took measurements to confirm 3 cornies could fit in there and they do (just barely).
The hump is on the bottom but it is curved to allow room for ponies (or the third corny).

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 09:05:46 AM »
I liked the look of their Sanyo kegerators when considering the interior.

The "hump" is at the top! Definitely room for three cornies and a tank!
Man, $679 plus shipping...that adds another $100 or so.  Yeeesh.  Looks great though...
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
Today's morebeel deal of the day may help your decision if you were going to make one:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16308/2012-04-11

Normally $179.00, now $134.95 w/Coupon Code BEERDEAL
Free shipping, no tax.

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
Yeah that is spendy. But that is with tank, regulator, coupler, tower and tap- maybe $200 in value? Most of the work done...

Not all homebrewers are penny pincher's like I was when starting out. Now I'd rather get exactly what I want first, instead of expending more in time and money later when adapting/fabbing and upgrading a unit that wasn't designed for serving beer in the first place.

But it is the HB DIY way... We can make it work and cheaply in the right circumstances!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »
Eeewww? ???

Sounds like the one guy got a bad one- which could happen with any brand. Unfortunately, you're more likely to hear about the bad experiences than good ones.

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
Right, I would take that with a grain of salt. 
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline Delo

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
As far as amazon reviews, I take them all with a grain of salt. Look at other reviews from other sites and especially from homebrewers.   They will tend to review more of the features you are interested in.   I heard mixed results about danby, but like I said my friend has one( I dont know the model) and loves it.  He has never had any problems. and I have a Danby 4.4 cu.ft. that I use for a fermentation chamber and it works great too. When I was looking I was leaning towards buying a Sanyo or Summit.  I liked the chill plate design of the Sanyo and it seemed like they were dependable and the Summit could be installed inside a bar or under a countertop.
Mark

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
I would think something like this would be sweet: http://www.amazon.com/Avanti-RA752PST-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-Platinum/dp/B001V5NWZI/ref=sr_1_14?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1334171146&sr=1-14

Wonder how many kegs that could fit.  Put a couple taps through the door, would a nice sized compact kegerator.
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
I would think something like this would be sweet: http://www.amazon.com/Avanti-RA752PST-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-Platinum/dp/B001V5NWZI/ref=sr_1_14?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1334171146&sr=1-14

Wonder how many kegs that could fit.  Put a couple taps through the door, would a nice sized compact kegerator.

My Holiday chest freezer is 7cu. I could put 4-5 kegs in there without a collar and it cost around $300 at Lowes. Bought it for fermenting...

For me the freezer portion the 7cu Avanti has rules it out. Besides I think you could get a 21cu fridge/freezer for that price. Now if space is an issue... that make the decision harder. Always.

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
Well, the freezer could be used for hops, and you'd be able to get 3 kegs in there with co2 outside of the fridge.  I think it'd be a neat little compact kegerator.  You wouldn't need a temp controller and you wouldn't take up a bunch of space with a full size fridge.
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
Beersk - There's one on craigslist here for $200.

I'm sure you can find them used.  Look around at the end of the spring college semester, which should be coming up.  Lots of good deals that time of year.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton