Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerators--any suggestions?  (Read 28188 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Kegerators--any suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 07:44:51 am »
The smaller ones are even harder to find, the apartment sized fridges, that is.  Those would be about perfect for a keg fridge I think.  That'll probably be my next setup once my current kegerator dies.
Jesse

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 02:38:43 pm »
Damn!!! http://iowacity.craigslist.org/app/2968777452.html

It's too bad I'm not in the market to build or buy a new kegerator...remember when I was saying these were hard to find?
Jesse

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 11:46:44 am »
I've had this Beverage Air kegerator for about four years now and have been very happy with it.  It can fit three 5-gallon corney kegs and a 10 lb. tank.  If you leave the tank out of the unit, you could definitley fit a fourth corney keg in there.

The blow hose for cooling the tower is a nice touch.  I did have to insulate the tower with rubatex to keep the condensation under control, but it was easy and didn't cost much.

I did a lot of research before I purchased it, and Beverage Air is a quality brand (and made in the USA).

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/BM23-2.shtml
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:14 am »
Dang dude, you paid $1500 for yours (well it probably wasn't $1500 4 years ago...)?  Yeesh, that's pricey.  Looks like an amazing kegerator though.
Jesse

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 09:53:22 am »
Dang dude, you paid $1500 for yours (well it probably wasn't $1500 4 years ago...)?  Yeesh, that's pricey.  Looks like an amazing kegerator though.

It was actually a wedding present (a bunch of my friends chipped in and got me a gift certificate to the beverage factory).

If I had more space, I probably would have gone the keezer route.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 11:08:39 am »

It was actually a wedding present (a bunch of my friends chipped in and got me a gift certificate to the beverage factory).

If I had more space, I probably would have gone the keezer route.
Oh nice, that's pretty sweet.  Not sure what I'll do next.  You never know when your fridge will die.  I've had mine for a little over 2 years and it was used when I got it (bought off Craigslist, who knows how long they'd owned it).  Doesn't hurt to plan ahead.
Jesse

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:28 am »
I'm in the market for a commercially made kegerator (preferably 2, even 3 taps) capable of fitting two 5-gallon cornys (or three cornys, if three taps). 
Anybody have experience with them and suggestions on where to find/buy the best brands. 
This kegerator is going inside the penthouse at the condo complex, and the garage is too far away (by elevator) to be practical, so it has to be located inside the penthouse, and it has to look "really nice." 
DIY keezers and front-mounted fridge conversions aren't going to be considered due to time and aesthetics.

A few years ago the local Costco had a kegerator on sale as a floor model.  I got it for $200.  Had to switch out the Sankey for ball locks, but that's minimal expense.  Now looking for a good deal on a dual tower.  Even brand new they are $400.  Probably $200 to convert to dual tap corny.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 11:33:12 am »
I'm in the market for a commercially made kegerator (preferably 2, even 3 taps) capable of fitting two 5-gallon cornys (or three cornys, if three taps). 
Anybody have experience with them and suggestions on where to find/buy the best brands. 
This kegerator is going inside the penthouse at the condo complex, and the garage is too far away (by elevator) to be practical, so it has to be located inside the penthouse, and it has to look "really nice." 
DIY keezers and front-mounted fridge conversions aren't going to be considered due to time and aesthetics.

A few years ago the local Costco had a kegerator on sale as a floor model.  I got it for $200.  Had to switch out the Sankey for ball locks, but that's minimal expense.  Now looking for a good deal on a dual tower.  Even brand new they are $400.  Probably $200 to convert to dual tap corny.

I know, it's definitely an investment.  $400 isn't too bad, but then you have shipping, which is almost a hundo.  Keep an eye out on craig's list and do your own conversion. I think that would save a bunch of money.  Unless of course it's worth it to you to not have to do the work (which I'm on the fence about).
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 08:27:59 am »
Parts are expensive too. I believe I spent $900 on my 4-tap converted chest freezer, though that does include the kegs.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:36 am »

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nostalgia-Electrics-Stainless-Steel-Double-Kegerator-Twin-Tap-Beer-Keg-Fridge/16418338?findingMethod=rr

Not a bd deal.  (if it's any good)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 08:14:55 pm »
My wife and mother in law bought me a Haier at Sam's for my birthday.  It's not what I would have gotten and I was looking to build one but I think the boss was worried how it would look in the house.
I have since updated to a tri tap tower and it holds 3 corny's and a Co2 tank.
So far, I'm pleased. It's quiet as hell and with 2 kegs inside, works well.
Of course, it's more fun to build and brag.  Maybe in the future.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2012, 08:44:32 am »
My wife and mother in law bought me a Haier at Sam's for my birthday.  It's not what I would have gotten and I was looking to build one but I think the boss was worried how it would look in the house.
I have since updated to a tri tap tower and it holds 3 corny's and a Co2 tank.
So far, I'm pleased. It's quiet as hell and with 2 kegs inside, works well.
Of course, it's more fun to build and brag.  Maybe in the future.

That's what I've had for years.  My boss just baught me a dual tower.  The thing works great. 

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2012, 12:33:20 pm »
Your boss bought you that?  What a nice boss...

I had been looking at building something for a while, but it dawned on me yesterday to drill a hole in the side for a gas line out so I can get a 3rd keg inside for lagering/carbonating.  Doy!  Why didn't I think of this sooner!
Jesse

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 08:20:19 am »
I have a keezer that will soon be promoted to fermentation chamber. It does an AMAZING job nailing ferm temps, no matter how vigorous the activity, when used with a brew belt and a Ranco.

I'll use a cheap craigslist fridge to keep the beer cold. Taps are expensive - I started with one and just slowly bought more over time. You can always use the picnic taps until then.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 12:30:51 pm »
I think he means "Bruce Springsteen". ;)

Or more likely it's SWMBO.... ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis