Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm going to San Diego this summer so I shouldn't miss _______ taproom/brewpub?  (Read 3340 times)

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
My wife and I are going to San Diego for a few days in June and I wanted to find out if there are some taprooms/brewpubs around the area that I should not miss.  Stone, PP-Carlsbad and Port Brewing are on my list so far.  I think we're there for 3 nights and my wife is really cool about beer hobby.

Thanks

By the way, I'm in Boulder, CO so we get quite a few of the CA stuff but that's not going to stop me from visiting.  But if there's something around there that I've never heard of before that's really good I'd especially like to know about them.
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline paul

• Cellarman
Doesn't White Labs have a tap room in that area?

I don't know anything about it but would think that would be worth checking out. Has anyone been there?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
There are a bunch on 30th Street. Toronado may have been my favorite last year at the NHC.
Edit-Those are multitaps, though.

For brewpubs, any Pizza Port will do.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:09:25 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
Mother Earth in Vista, Iron Fist in Vista, Hess in SD
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Glad you have Stone on your list.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
Well, there are over 40 now and it's a big county, so depending on where you'll be staying and what you'll be doing,and what you like, it just depends.  Toronado and Hamiltons will have lots and lots of different San Diego as well as California beers.
You mentioned your availability in Boulder so I'm sure you have had Ballast Point and Green Flash. Stone is on your list, its a neat place to visit and they are also great in that they will have several taps of other micros that they think are great.
Alpine is awesome but out of the way a bit. Alesmith should be visited. If you find yourself in Coronado you should check out the namesake brewery there. Pizza Port in Ocean Beach is very good and you can then walk to Newport Pizza and the Harp which are bars with some great taps.
Enjoy...

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
My went to the American Diabetes Conference there last June and I tagged along since I had never been to SD.  We stayed across the street from the Midway and walked over to Karl Strauss Brewing Company a couple of times.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
I do have some tips about the ideas you do have... Make reservations for Stone, if you want to eat.  If you plan on going to the bottle shop, it opens at 5 pm during the week.  I learned both of those lessons the hard way :)
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Mother Earth in Vista, Iron Fist in Vista, Hess in SD

+1 Iron Fist.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
Great responses thanks.  Good to know Iron Fist is on the list.  I'm a volunteer beer sorter for GABF and WBC and they pay us with mixed cases of beer.  I got a couple of 750's from Iron Fist from WBC sorting the last couple of weeks.  One is a stout and I can't remember what the other one is.

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
I do have some tips about the ideas you do have... Make reservations for Stone, if you want to eat.  If you plan on going to the bottle shop, it opens at 5 pm during the week.  I learned both of those lessons the hard way :)

Thank you, that's great to know.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
I would also say go and visit White Labs new "classroom" that they've opened up.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Do you have more detail on this new White Labs "Classroom"? I will be in San Diego in June for few days and I am intrigued.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
I would also say go and visit White Labs new "classroom" that they've opened up.

Will do, didn't realize they were there or that they had a classroom. 

Thanks.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
I would plan a meal at Stone.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)