Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: lime leaf source  (Read 9492 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
lime leaf source
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 05:29:31 pm »
I use them for my Belgian white. My partner used to get them locally now he gets them from amazon or eBay, can't remember which. I'll ask him tomorrow for the source. It's a good price iirc.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: lime leaf source
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 05:40:37 pm »
That would be great, thanks Keith.  A reliable source would be awesome, I'm seriously considering my own plant.  My local nursery doesn't carry them (checked today, they don't bring them in and their supplier doesn't have them) but I can order one from a WA nursery - $50 plus shipping.  The amazon one was a better price, but it's hard to say how they compare in size.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 07:12:36 pm »
They're going for $90 per pound, which is under $6 an ounce.  =

Seriously?  $90 a pound for leaves?  I've got some maple leaves I'll sell you for $75 a pound.  Get that authentic Canadian flavour at bargain prices.  Dried in stock, fresh in about a month...

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 07:56:20 pm »
A pound of lime leaves is about a cubic yard in volume.   ;D

All of the stuff you mention, Tom, is available here at the local farmers market.  I don't think much about it anymore.  I just take it for granted.  Like the 6 for a dollar papayas.  Even at that price I don't buy them cause they grow like weeds here, as do pineapples, avacados, mangos, coconuts, macnuts, bananas, passion fruit, ginger, guava, citrus, purple sweet potatoes, basil, horseradish, wasabi...  It's pretty cool having three growing seasons per year.

Gotta watch out for that damn snake though... always trying to get me to bite the apple...   ::)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:07:41 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 11:10:58 pm »
We enjoyed cheap local fruit from the farmer's market when we stayed in Kona, but it was probably the tourists market. :)  Still way cheaper than at home.

Then again Carl, I can grow hops ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
lime leaf source
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 05:14:32 am »
I had a tree for five years and it died suddenly last year. I kept it in my solarium. Not too expensive and fairly easy to keep alive.

Still waiting to hear back on source.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 11:55:03 am »
ha, well, this was redundant.

http://www.kaffirlimeleaves.com/

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 12:49:40 pm »
Since it's dried it shouldn't be a problem coming through customs.

Completely not true. All citrus parts, dried or not, are really hard to import. Florida and California REALLY like their citrus industries.

Yeah, but I don't live in a citrus growing region so it should be harmless to ship here.  No shipping from CA to FL makes sense, CA to WA not so much.

Also not true. Because you might give that tree to your little, old grandmother who sells her humble cottage, leaving the tree on the porch for the new owners, a nice young couple from Spokane, and that young couple joins a garden club and gives away rooted cuttings at a spring fundraiser to a little girl who grows it in her parents backyard. Then when she's 23, she marries a doctor from Pensacola and brings her kaffir lime tree with her. And then every citrus tree in Florida dies.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:57:46 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 01:46:52 pm »
Since it's dried it shouldn't be a problem coming through customs.

Completely not true. All citrus parts, dried or not, are really hard to import. Florida and California REALLY like their citrus industries.

Yeah, but I don't live in a citrus growing region so it should be harmless to ship here.  No shipping from CA to FL makes sense, CA to WA not so much.

Also not true. Because you might give that tree to your little, old grandmother who sells her humble cottage, leaving the tree on the porch for the new owners, a nice young couple from Spokane, and that young couple joins a garden club and gives away rooted cuttings at a spring fundraiser to a little girl who grows it in her parents backyard. Then when she's 23, she marries a doctor from Pensacola and brings her kaffir lime tree with her. And then every citrus tree in Florida dies.
That's BS.

First, we're talking about leaves, not a whole plant - there is no reason a grower in CA shouldn't be allowed to sell leaves in non-citrus growing area.

Second, the exact same scenario could take place with someone who lives in CA and can buy a whole plant from a CA grower.  Blah blah blah, little girl moves to Pensacola and kills trees.  If they need to be that tightly controlled then they shouldn't be sold to consumers at all.  If you can sell them in your local area, you should be able to sell them outside growing areas.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 03:06:12 pm »
no worries. glad i could help.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 03:40:14 pm »
Thanks Keith! :)

I hadn't had time to follow the link, but I did and just placed an order.  I'm not sure how good the price is since they sell them in 25 leaf quantities and not by weight, but the ones I got at the store were 29 leaves for $8.50.  I guess it depends on what they consider a "leaf", since they are weird two-part leaves.  If the two parts constitute one leaf, it is a deal.  If each part is its own leaf then it's a little more than I paid locally.  I'm fine either way.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 03:42:53 pm »
It's more than the "one leaf" thing. I think one bag is about 20 grams or so. The quality is top notch, fwiw.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 03:51:44 pm »
On the whole quarantined plant thing, I virtually guarantee you will be able to find someone who will sell you a plant online, whether they're supposed to or not. (Not that I would encourage such a thing) The regs on what can be shipped where are so complicated state by state that there's bound to be a nursery that "missed" your state on the no-ship list for a particular plant.

For example, lets say that a particular state (definitely NOT Rhode Island) doesn't allow most currants and gooseberries to be grown without a special permit, and doesn't allow black currants at all. But somehow... well, I'll let you know how the mead turns out in a few years  ;)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 04:20:40 pm »
i don't pretend to know how the quarantines work - but I talked to my local nursery and they get their citrus from a grower in California.  So at least in that respect it is fine.  And there is another nursery in WA I can get them from.  I'm not sure I want a plant though, still deciding.  Because if I had a lovely and kind of pricey plant, would I want to strip leaves off of it?  I'm not sure :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 02:17:39 am »
Thanks Keith! :)

I hadn't had time to follow the link, but I did and just placed an order.  I'm not sure how good the price is since they sell them in 25 leaf quantities and not by weight, but the ones I got at the store were 29 leaves for $8.50.  I guess it depends on what they consider a "leaf", since they are weird two-part leaves.  If the two parts constitute one leaf, it is a deal.  If each part is its own leaf then it's a little more than I paid locally.  I'm fine either way.
I got my leaves today - IMO, it is well worth the price.  They give you more than 25 leaves (full leaves, both parts) and they were healthy looking and a nice dark green.  The extras they give you more than make up for any that are blemished or otherwise nasty looking (very few).  I'm totally happy with this source, and will use them next time I need leaves.

Mixed up a big batch of my Thai curry paste tonight - I hope it lasts a while, 4 cups of packed cilantro is a LOT of leaf plucking, and grating a half cup each of ginger and galangal . . . a labor of love. ;D

I'm making some soup with the paste later this week, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :)
Tom Schmidlin