Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast nutrient, worthwhile or not?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline DaveR

• Cellarman
Yeast nutrient, worthwhile or not?
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:14:42 am »
I read a few posts where people were dissatisfied with WLP090. I've had good luck with it. I'm usually the one that has problems.  I use Servomyces in every batch. I also have yeast nutrient, but I only use that in starters.

Can someone elaborate on difference between Servomyces and regular yeast nutrient? Is one better than the other? Any chance that nutrients are more important with a vigorously fermenting yeast like WLP090?

Thx
Dave

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Yeast nutrient, worthwhile or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:02:04 am »
"Yeast nutrient" usually is, or contains, DAP (diammonium phosphate). DAP provides YAN (yeast-available nitrogen). In wort fermentations, your YAN will probably always exceed the yeast's requirements. It's all the "other" stuff your yeast needs that's the problem. High-yield commercial farming may result in malt that is deficient in minerals and nutrients that your yeast need.

Servo is specially grown yeast that have high amounts of minerals that yeast like. From the manufacturing descriptions, GoFerm from Lallemand sounds like the same thing. I haven't used Servo, just because of the price tag, but I do intend to track down some GoFerm and try it. Fermaid O also sounds similar. I'm not really sure what the difference is between that and GoFerm.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:08:25 am by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:03:49 pm »
"Yeast nutrient" usually is, or contains, DAP (diammonium phosphate). DAP provides YAN (yeast-available nitrogen). In wort fermentations, your YAN will probably always exceed the yeast's requirements. It's all the "other" stuff your yeast needs that's the problem. High-yield commercial farming may result in malt that is deficient in minerals and nutrients that your yeast need.

Servo is specially grown and killed yeast that have high amounts of minerals that yeast like. From the manufacturing descriptions, GoFerm from Lallemand sounds like the same thing. I haven't used Servo, just because of the price tag, but I do intend to track down some GoFerm and try it. Fermaid O also sounds similar. I'm not really sure what the difference is between that and GoFerm.
Fixed that - just in case someone thought it contained living yeast.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:43:37 pm »
Fixed that - just in case someone thought it contained living yeast.

Yeah, I originally wrote "autolyzed" but then I wasn't sure if it was actually autolyzed. I assumed it was because you can add it during fermentation.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline DaveR

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:57:30 pm »
I haven't used Servo, just because of the price tag

Price is definitely an issue.  I repitch a lot, with excellent success. If I can improve the current fermentation, and also end up with a healthier population of yeast for the next batch, then maybe it's worth using. OTOH, I can't imagine commercial brewers paying that much to use it. They repitch all the time, also with excellent success. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:36:14 pm »
I haven't used Servo, just because of the price tag

Price is definitely an issue.  I repitch a lot, with excellent success. If I can improve the current fermentation, and also end up with a healthier population of yeast for the next batch, then maybe it's worth using. OTOH, I can't imagine commercial brewers paying that much to use it. They repitch all the time, also with excellent success. 

I actually asked this same question of a brewer in a nearby town the other day. He was saying that in his previous job they were hesitant to spring for the servo but did try the free sample and said it did improve the yeast performance after a couple repitches. He said they used it when first growing up the yeast, not every time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:52:23 pm »
I use Wyeast Nutrient.  I don't know what's in it, but my fermentations have been vigorous.  I tried using out of date dry yeast in the boil, but saw no measurable/noticeable difference.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Yeast nutrient, worthwhile or not?
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:09 am »
Servo is not any better than any other nutrient IMO. It is just a way for the Germans to get past the reinheitsghebot because what servo really is is just zinc fortified yeast (with other nutrients). I use the wyeast or white labs nutrients (not servo) interchangeably with fine results.