Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg & carboy washer  (Read 7799 times)

Offline krazykrausen

• 1st Kit
    • Ton BrewHouse
Keg & carboy washer
« on: March 15, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »
http://morebeer.com/view_product/11869/beerwinecoffee/Keg_Carboy_Washer

Any have/use one of these? I'm thinking about getting one, just curious to see what all you have to say. Worthwhile or not?

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk
Flavor. Substance. Personality

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
Re: Keg & carboy washer
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:00:33 am »
It's on my birthday wish list. I'm about 99% sure it arrived the other day (saw an empty More Beer box in the garage), so will let you know in a few weeks. I hinted that it'd be nice to have this Saturday while kegging a pale ale.

Bruce

Offline pikelakehomebrew

• Cellarman
  • brewing in the north metro
    • Pike Lake Home Brew
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:05 am »
http://morebeer.com/view_product/11869/beerwinecoffee/Keg_Carboy_Washer

Any have/use one of these? I'm thinking about getting one, just curious to see what all you have to say. Worthwhile or not?

Hands-down one of the best purchases that I've made (next to everything else that is equally as awesome).  It does a decent job cleaning and rinsing stuff out AND with the added bonus that you're using MUCH less water.  How can you not like reducing your impact on the planet and your water bill at the same time?

You basically put the submersible pump in the basin, pour in enough PBW in the basin for one gallon of water (around a half cup), and then one gallon of water.  Carefully put your carboy or keg on the basin stand (it comes with a removable mount for carboys), and then plug the pump into an outlet that has a ground fault interrupt on it.  DON'T even think of using an ordinary outlet though...remember this is water and electricity, and they don't play nicely.   :o zzzzzt

The other great thing about the cleaner is that I can multitask and do something else while that's cleaning away...like drink my beer or scrub my kettles from the brew day.  But don't walk away from it for too long — we all know the golden rule, that if something can happen while you walk away, it inevitably will.

If you have REALLY stubborn stuff stuck in your carboys, I recommend this bad boy:
http://youtu.be/P_lVmaHFIKA
pikelakehomebrew.com
On tap: Oktoberfest, Belgian Dubbel, Peach Blonde Ale, Surly Furious clone

Offline zen_brew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:02:58 pm »
 I have the earlier version of Mark's keg washer. It is slightly larger with a 3 gallon reservoir. For me personally, I would like to see a slightly stronger pump, and some side jets that hit near the typical krausen area. I guess if you let it circulate long enough it might actually get these areas clean just from the continuous action of the solution running over the krausen, but I think side jets hitting that area would be more effective and quicker.

After using it once or twice and seeing how slowly it was cleaning along the krausen line, I permanently changed it over to a sanitizing vessel. I purchased some saniclean, which is basically starsans low foaming sister product, and I keep the reservoir filled with that. I sanitize all my kegs and carboys with it, which it is quite effective at.

For cleaning I still just soak kegs and carboys over night with some Oxyclean, then flush them with fresh water. I have seen many DIY keg cleaners on line that have more power and mods for side jets, and if I ever get the time I may build one so I am automated for cleaning and sanitizing, but for now it is nice to just pop a carboy or keg on the Marks Keg washer to sanitize, and walk away.. At least I'm half way there. Your mileage may vary.
Beer is like liquid sunshine, and we need all the sunshine we can get in Seattle.

Do not one day come to die, and discover that you have not lived.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:31 pm »
I made one myself using a bucket, pond pump and 24" sprinkler riser. I just capped the riser and drilled lots of small holes in it. I fill the bucket half-way with hot water and Oxyclean and put the carboys/kegs over the pipe and and plug it in. The cleaner re-circs thru the pump. Works great and costs less than 25 bucks to put together.

narvin

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:30:05 pm »
I was looking at it, but for $99 (not including two more keg disconnects, which aren't cheap) I wanted a more powerful pump.  I picked up a 3000 GPH sump pump on amazon for $50 and some pvc and made my own.  Lots of info out there on keg washer builds if you feel like making a project out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MDBdirxAZ0
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:55:12 pm by narvin »

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:33:22 pm »
If you're really considering that Morebeer keg washer, I have some land in Florida that you might be interested in. :D

Offline krazykrausen

• 1st Kit
    • Ton BrewHouse
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:00:19 am »
Haha thanks. After watching those YouTube videos, I'll be going the project route. Thanks for the help everyone!

Flavor. Substance. Personality

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:55:37 pm »
i got "THE CARBOY CLEANER" which spins around using a drill for rotational power. I only have two glass carboys and use it to clean them but I am sure it would work for my kegs. So far I have nor had to do much more than shake them vigorously and then rinse. Of course, I clean them within a day of kicking. And I do not find much sediment in the bottom. ps. the carboys are for secondary, I use buckets for primary, where most of the mess is more easily cleaned out.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.