Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mixing Priming Sugar with CO2  (Read 2271 times)

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Mixing Priming Sugar with CO2
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:28:23 am »
I plan on bottling 5 of 15 gallons currently in my conical.  I am thinking of adding the priming solution to a keg and running 5 gallons into it.  Then, rather than putting on the lid and shaking, I'll bubble CO2 in through the beer out line.  I do not see any negatives to this process, but maybe I'm missing sumtin.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Mixing Priming Sugar with CO2
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:56 am »
Nah, the beer will absorb a bit of co2 but nothing really worth calculating id think.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:54:55 am »
If I'm understanding correctly, yes...you could do that (though I'd still agitate the keg a little, enough to make sure the primings get mixed in).

I'm just wondering though... why bother with priming sugar when you can force carb it in the keg and then bottle it after it is already conditioned?
Just curious.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:01:57 am »
I'm just wondering though... why bother with priming sugar when you can force carb it in the keg and then bottle it after it is already conditioned?
Just curious.

Right now I only have two open kegs.  Besides, IMO bottling carbed beer, even with a beer gun is a PITA to me.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager