Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So simple but so nice  (Read 40820 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
So simple but so nice
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:44:24 am »
I bought this jacking table at harbor freight.

With the use of a hydraulic jack it raises my Mash Tun high enough to Vourloff comfortably

Then lowers to the perfect hieght to run off into my kettle

This thing is truly a back saver :)

I use the hand truck in the back ground to transport my fermenter to my basement after brewing.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: So simple but so nice
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:27 am »
Nice idea.  Definitely something to consider as I (apparently) keep getting older and weaker.

I use a furniture dolly (rectangle w/ 4 wheels) to move my boiling kettle from the patio to my deep sink area for chilling.  Saves the back and makes it so much less likely to dump 5-6 gallons of boiling water on myself.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:20 am »
Being a pragmatist, it seems like a piece of tubing from the mash tun to the kettle would be cheaper and easier.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:29 am »
Yes, but that jacking table is cool.

Makes me wonder what the actual purpose of a jacking table would be.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:18:29 am »
They are typically used to move items that can be difficult or dangerous to move by hand.  They work well for moving heavy boxes from a shelf to another location without having to lift it.  I've used them for moving big rocks as well as computer systems around.  They are real back savers.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:05 am »
They are typically used to move items that can be difficult or dangerous to move by hand.  They work well for moving heavy boxes from a shelf to another location without having to lift it.  I've used them for moving big rocks as well as computer systems around.  They are real back savers.

Paul

so they are for jacking off... high shelves and stuff? Sorry, couldn't help myself. ::)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:32:46 am »
Yes, but that jacking table is cool.

Makes me wonder what the actual purpose of a jacking table would be.

Cool, yes.  Cool compared to a $1 piece of tubing...maybe not so much.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:41:37 am »
I suppose.

Could you not also compare it to a three tier brew stand, though?  Much more cost effective than that.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:43 am »
A jack-off table? You need a special table for that? :o

Why not just raise the empty tun in the first place? I usually just rest mine on a couple kegs, fill with strike water and dough in. Then run into the kettle directly or use grants.

For transport though- thats the ticket! I've got my own system set to where I only have to lift a full fermenter twice from kettle to keg, and if I put my freezer on wheels I can avoid that too. But this is only after years of struggling with heavy buckets, spent grain etc. Usually I won't lift more than 4 gallons at a time.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 11:50:39 am »
I suppose.

Could you not also compare it to a three tier brew stand, though?  Much more cost effective than that.

Maybe so.  From my point of view, though, a 3 tier brew stand is unnecessary.  But that still doesn't negate the fact that a piece of inexpensive tubing would do the same thing as the jack table.  But it's all about personal choices.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:01:07 pm »
I suppose.

Maybe so.  From my point of view, though, a 3 tier brew stand is unnecessary.  But that still doesn't negate the fact that a piece of inexpensive tubing would do the same thing as the jack table.  But it's all about personal choices.
Are you going to post about your inexpensive tubing in the "pimp my system" area?  Or do we need to ban you from here? ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 12:11:01 pm »
Damn, that would be funny!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »
I suppose.

Are you going to post about your inexpensive tubing in the "pimp my system" area?  Or do we need to ban you from here? ;)

Haha, good one.

I think the point is so he doesn't have to lift the mash tun full of water and grains up too high.  This allows him to adjust the height to his needs.  It's pretty smooth.  If one absolutely couldn't lift anything and need something to help keep brewing, this would be a good option, I think.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 01:03:12 pm »
I suppose.

No doubt.  I was just using it as a comparison on the other extreme.

I certainly don't have a lot of fancy gadgets in my brewing arsenal.  But I did spring for the bottled oxygen thingy where I'm sure I could aerate with a mix-stir.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »
Although I still think tubing is a better idea for the purpose, I also think the table is cool enough that I'm trying to think of how I could use one!

www.dennybrew.com