Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So simple but so nice  (Read 40840 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: So simple but so nice
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 02:21:24 pm »
It makes a great back saver, not to mention a really nice lift.

Sweet!  :)
Ron Price

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:22 pm »
Denny with the tubing I would still have to lift a mash tun after filling it for gravity to make the tube work. The idea of this table is to eliminate lifting. Like a tower does.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 03:24:41 pm »
Bluesman another nice thing is when I am done brewing I wheel (not carry) my tun full of spent grain to the driveway for.cleaning. This thing really eliminated a lot of lifting. I am 56 years old and have had 3 hernia surgeries since I was 50. So eliminating bulky awkward lifting is priceless to me. I am thinking about putting another one of these in my basement so after racking to my bottling bucket I can just jack that up for bottling. Instead of lifting it onto a stool.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 04:21:22 pm »
Great idea! What does one of those cost and how much will it lift. I see a birthday idea in the future.  :)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 04:36:47 pm »
It was $159 and has a 500 pound capacity. I got it at Harbor Freight.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
So simple but so nice
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 04:50:57 pm »
Denny with the tubing I would still have to lift a mash tun after filling it for gravity to make the tube work. The idea of this table is to eliminate lifting. Like a tower does.

It's always interesting to compare different people's methods.  I fill my mash tun in place using a pitcher so I don't have to lift it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 05:38:14 pm »
It was $159 and has a 500 pound capacity. I got it at Harbor Freight.

Not bad and you can wheel it out to the compost bin, trash or ??? That's a small price when compared to doctor bills.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26:00 pm »
I heat my strike water on my stove while drinking my morning coffee. Then haul it out to my garage/brewery on my two wheel hand truck. Grind and add my grain. Then, before getting this thing, I had to lift it onto an old thermal cooler fridge I used as a shelf for it. Now I wheel it out and set it on this cart in the low position and jack it up or down depending on where I need it.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
So simple but so nice
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »
I heat my strike water on my stove while drinking my morning coffee. Then haul it out to my garage/brewery on my two wheel hand truck. Grind and add my grain. Then, before getting this thing, I had to lift it onto an old thermal cooler fridge I used as a shelf for it. Now I wheel it out and set it on this cart in the low position and jack it up or down depending on where I need it.

Wow, what a procedure!  I can see that the table would be really useful for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 10:11:54 am »
I fill my mash tun in place using a pitcher so I don't have to lift it.

I do the same. On the counter next to the stove and strike/sparge water pot.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 10:46:51 am »
Bluesman another nice thing is when I am done brewing I wheel (not carry) my tun full of spent grain to the driveway for.cleaning. This thing really eliminated a lot of lifting. I am 56 years old and have had 3 hernia surgeries since I was 50. So eliminating bulky awkward lifting is priceless to me. I am thinking about putting another one of these in my basement so after racking to my bottling bucket I can just jack that up for bottling. Instead of lifting it onto a stool.
I like the fact that it's on wheels.  If it did steps, I would be sold!   ;D
Scott B

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 10:56:36 am »
I like the fact that it's on wheels.  If it did steps, I would be sold!   ;D

A march pump really helps in situations like this. Set things up right and you won't have to lift a thing except to clean...

That being said I filled my kettle one gallon at a time with a pitcher last night, and once done brewing then gravity fed the wort out to my fermenter sitting on the kitchen floor. I only had to lift the full bucket once and place in the freezmenter. Body protests though!

What I'd like to do is avoid a back injury or hernia also. Will inspect process more closely to see how I can eliminate most lifting.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 06:18:00 am »
I can see a lot of uses for one of those things in my future. Thanks for the info.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 10:14:46 am »
I love stuff I can buy for my husband that he will be ecstatic over (he's a car guy) that I can use for brewing. No more carrying water from the house to the driveway...I'll just fill my keggle and wheel it outside, light the burner and.........  ;) Happy Anniversary hon!!!!!
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 12:25:07 pm »
A jack-off table? You need a special table for that? :o

Why not just raise the empty tun in the first place? I usually just rest mine on a couple kegs, fill with strike water and dough in. Then run into the kettle directly or use grants.

For vertically-challenged brewers, getting the strike water into the tun is awkward and potentially dangerous. I have to get up and down on a kickstool in my kitchen to pour it in a gallon at a time, which also is just begging for a splashed-hot-water incident, and then I still have to hoist the kettle on to the stove (edit: or pour the wort into the kettle a gallon at a time, which is what I do most often). Unless this thing did steps, I couldn't use it for everything I need (such as taking out the spent grain), but it does get filed under "tools that can ease the process." I like this thread -- very helpful. (I do have a Radio Flyer, which is great for dragging stuff around the apartment.)

I've given up on brewing outdoors or brewing more than 3 gallons because of the hitches in the physical process.

Hmmm... I wonder if I painted it to match the living room, if I could justify it as a side table...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:28:43 pm by kgs »
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member