Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation Question  (Read 1422 times)

Offline raddly

• 1st Kit
Carbonation Question
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:39:19 pm »
I bottled a Belgian Strong Dark (9.75% abv) nearly a month ago.  Five-gallon batch, primed with cane sugar-- I believe 4 oz (don't have notes in front of me).  I've periodically tested bottles for the last two weeks.  Tastes great, but no carbonation yet.  How long should I give them to carbonate before giving up?  And is there a way to remedy?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Carbonation Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »
Make sure they are above 70F and give them more time.  At least another 3 weeks at that temp and check them.

If they are still flat, the easiest thing to do is to get a packet of dry yeast and some tweezers, open every bottle, add a couple of grains of yeast, then recap.  Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:52 pm »
I had the same thing happen to me years ago with a 10.5% Barleywine.  I tried warming them and adding yeast to no avail...and wound up just drinking it undercarbonated.  It was an awesome BW and I got a lot of rave reviews eventhough it was almost still.

Try Tom's suggestion with the yeast if they don't carbonate after warming.  I would try it on a few bottles before you go full bore on the whole batch.
Ron Price

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 01:05:23 pm »
If it looks like the yeast has settled, you can also try inverting them once or twice to keep it in suspension while the bottles are warmer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 02:42:45 pm »
Well how about some more info- did you use a secondary? How long in primary what type of yeast etc.

That's a pretty strong brew and the beat-up yeast might not have survived the journey. Maybe further compounded by transfer/racking technique with too much attention to not letting enough sediment into the mix. You could try opening and dosing each bottle with some fermenting wort, then recap. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:43 pm »
The last Belgian Strong I brewed took 15 weeks to properly carbonate, I would just wait, they'll eventually get there :)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010