Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about using gelatin  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Question about using gelatin
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:36:02 am »
I usually get the corney keg cold like 31 and mix half a pack Knox with  a cup of hot water to dissolve, and pouring to a gently stirred flat beer. Then i force for a week. . Does it help to shake the keg to get better fining results? Or once it is introduced it settles out and that's that?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Question about using gelatin
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:49:37 am »
I'll add my gelatin to a cup of cold water and let it bloom for 30 minutes.  then I nuke it for about 45 seconds to dissolve the gelatin ( but never let it boil ).

After I hit my keg with sanitizer and co2, I'll add the gelatin first and rack the beer on top of it.  After purging the headspace, I'll still shake the keg just a bit to make sure it's mixed.

I've had great results with gelatin.  Here is my first larger I've ever done:

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:13:50 pm »
My process is pretty close to darkside's.  Add Knox gelatin to room temp water in a pyrex measuring cup.  Bloom for 20 minutes covered.  Nuke until that first bubble breaks the surface.  Add to cold beer (I add it to the primary since I ferment in a keg).  After 24 hours, I rack off into a pair of serving kegs.  A little sediment makes it over to the serving kegs, but not much.  That gets stirred up when I move the kegs from cold storage to the serving kegerator, but it settles out pretty fast.  Beer is brilliantly clear.

I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:25:06 pm »
I just pour the gelatin mixture over the top of the carbonated beer while chilled in the keg, then gently stir the beer a few times and the beer clears nicely within a day.  I recently made a German Pils that came out crystal clear using this method.
Ron Price

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:48:07 am »
I just pour the gelatin mixture over the top of the carbonated beer while chilled in the keg, then gently stir the beer a few times and the beer clears nicely within a day.  I recently made a German Pils that came out crystal clear using this method.
I do this but do not stir.  Just add the hot mixture (btw I use some of the actual beer instead of water) and gently pour it onto the cold beer, wait a day, pour a half pint of yeast, then clear beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995