Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chill haze  (Read 1698 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Chill haze
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:26:16 am »
I brewed up a hefeweizen that ended up not really being much of a "Hefe". Wasn't crystal clear but I did notice the significant difference between a bottle that had been in the fridge less than 24 hours vs one that had been in longer.

My experience is that chill haze appears once the beer is cold. Why is my haze taking over 24 hours to develop?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Chill haze
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:19:51 am »
Maybe your proteins are really small and its taking longer for them to come out of solution.

Funny how stuff we want cloudy clears great and stuff we want clear stays cloudy.  I swear I think wheat in a beer is actually a good way to make it clear up.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:19:31 am »
I believe that it takes some time for the proteins to come out of solution as the beer chills (colder = faster) then they have to start sticking together for you to be able to "see" them.

My chill haze "solution": 31 deg F for a week, 1/2 packet of gelatin dissolved in 1/2 cup of the target beer, add to beer while still over 100 deg (so the gelatin solution will stay at the top).  2 days later you have clear beer!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 08:23:08 am »
Maybe your proteins are really small and its taking longer for them to come out of solution.

Funny how stuff we want cloudy clears great and stuff we want clear stays cloudy.  I swear I think wheat in a beer is actually a good way to make it clear up.

My wheat beers usually end up being the clearest beers I have on tap.  I've never figured out what I'm doing wrong.  I just assumed it was me and no one else ever had this "problem".   :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:35:53 am »
You are not alone.

My last Hoegaarden clone was crystal clear.  I have a buddy who loves Hoegaarden and his only complaint was that the beer wasn't cloudy.

Sometimes, I'll shake the keg a bit to get them cloudy again.

I suppose if you drank them super fresh (and killed the keg in like a week) they'd still be cloudy.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton