Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High AA hops freakin' me out  (Read 2247 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
High AA hops freakin' me out
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:33:29 am »
I normally brew with a variety of hops, but usually include some lower alpha acid in the mix. Tomorrow I'm planning to brew with only high AA hops (Nelson sauvin and pacific jade). I'm trying to keep the IBU's in the pilsner range while still getting good flavor and aroma characteristics from the hops, but the amount of hops I need to use to keep the IBU's down seems mighty low. So, I'm wondering, does high AA hops give me more bang for my buck all around, or will I just get a bitter beer without the aroma and flavor I'm looking for?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: High AA hops freakin' me out
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:37:11 am »
Move the hop additions closer to the end of the boil to keep your IBU's where you want them and still get good flavor and aroma.  Skip the earlier bittering additions you would normally do.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:34:33 am »
Move the hop additions closer to the end of the boil to keep your IBU's where you want them and still get good flavor and aroma.  Skip the earlier bittering additions you would normally do.

Thanks. Of course. I knew that.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »
I just did a pale ale with Pacific Jade as a single hop (60,15,5min) and I enjoyed it although I thought it didn't have much citrusy character.  The Nelson Sauvin ought to bring some of that, sounds like an interesting combo.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 02:03:13 pm »
I just did a pale ale with Pacific Jade as a single hop (60,15,5min) and I enjoyed it although I thought it didn't have much citrusy character.  The Nelson Sauvin ought to bring some of that, sounds like an interesting combo.

Cool. How was the bitterness? Also, did you get any of the pepper notes I read about?

I'm keeping it fairly light and using Bohemian Pilsner yeast at about 16*C. I'm gonna call it a pilsner.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:45:17 am »
Can't say I got much spiciness either.  The bitterness was firm but smooth so that part was nice.  I'll drink another one tonight after work and try and find the pepper for you.  Its the least I can do.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:49:45 am »

Thanks. Of course. I knew that.

When dealing with a high alpha that I want to taste more of but not go off the chart with BU's, I usually add the bittering charge at no earlier than 45 minutes but usually at 30 minutes which is where the flavor starts to really come through while maintaining a solid bitterness.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis