Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question for those who have grown hops  (Read 3837 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Question for those who have grown hops
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:51:59 am »
If I tie a rope to the faceboard of my roof to use as a trellis for the plant to climb. Would the plant eventually damage my roof?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Question for those who have grown hops
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:19 am »
If I tie a rope to the faceboard of my roof to use as a trellis for the plant to climb. Would the plant eventually damage my roof?

I hope not! I am planning the same thing. They do grow fast and get pretty big but I think we are talking about like a few pounds at most (maybe 10-20 tops) so I don't think there is any danger to your roof. They are BINES rather than VINES so they climb by wrapping themselves around a rope, tree, trellis etc. rather than by pushing into tiny cracks and making them bigger so I think it will be fine.

But if others have experience and can speak directly I would be interested as well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:56:34 am »
I don't think hops are tenacious enough to damage your roof because of their growing habits.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:45:47 am »
Depending on how much they grow on the roof, it should be ok as long as you are careful pulling them off once they die back.  They can be quite clingy.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:01:20 am »
I attach twine to the faceboard of a one story addition to our house for four plantings.  Once they reach the roof,  I try to steer them to the side to keep them from growing onto the roof because they will burn up from the hot shingles.  For me, I'm more worried the roof will damage the plant. If I could move them under the two story part, I would.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:04:59 am by Delo »
Mark

Offline heavyeng

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:33:00 pm »
This is my first time so not much help here, but I'm going to try zig-zagging the bines up and down from the ground to 8' and then back down...and repeat over and over.

If all grows as planned, I'll post up some pics as it goes.

Beer...It isn't just for breakfast anymore.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:03:12 pm »
This is my first time so not much help here, but I'm going to try zig-zagging the bines up and down from the ground to 8' and then back down...and repeat over and over.

good luck! hops don't like to grow down. You might get it to work if they reach the top of the first 8' length and then have no support, they will fall down and then you can offer them the next piece of string to go up on. Or you could put a very strong grow light on the ground pointing up. then they might grow towards that. but it would have to be stronger than the sun... hmm I see a problem here.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:11:30 pm »

Yeah, like Mort said. Hops don't like to grow down. You're better off getting them to go latterally if vertical isn't an option.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:22:14 pm by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 07:21:10 am »
I have mine run up, and then horizontally after that.  They'll grab onto stuff but have no root-like things like an ivy.  Just be careful when you pull them down.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:35:57 am »
Try a "Belgian Fence" espalier if you only have one hop variety you're planting.  Otherwise, keep them vertical with minimal lateral branching or you'll mix the varieties together during harvesting.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 08:16:41 am »
Try a "Belgian Fence" espalier if you only have one hop variety you're planting.  Otherwise, keep them vertical with minimal lateral branching or you'll mix the varieties together during harvesting.
^This would be really cool. I unfortunately planted a Willamette between two Cascades, but I think I may do this anyway. No matter what I do they seem to intertwine anyway. 
Mark

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 08:40:51 am »

Yeah, like Mort said. Hops don't like to grow down. You're better off getting them to go latterally if vertical isn't an option.
Once the growing tip of the bine hangs downward it shuts off a key growth enzyme(or activates another, I can't remember which) and the plant quits growing.  It will then start producing laterals which for me have produced the most cones.  I have some on a 14' trellis, but my best producers are along a chainlink fence.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 10:20:35 am »
I have mine run up, and then horizontally after that.  They'll grab onto stuff but have no root-like things like an ivy.  Just be careful when you pull them down.

Me, too.  Like this....

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 10:25:52 am »
i had mine going to a faceboard but i am replacing all my siding gutters etc. i am going to make a small trellis out of electrical conduit and just throw the strings up over the top and back down. 
Don AHA member