Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boiling in an erlenmeyer flask  (Read 16142 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Boiling in an erlenmeyer flask
« on: April 14, 2012, 01:55:46 am »
I have two stir plates being built, and I'll be ordering a couple of 2L flasks shortly.  My kitchen stove is electric, so, is it advisable to put my flasks in a water bath for boiling?  How should I proceed with this?

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: Boiling in an erlenmeyer flask
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 05:54:16 am »
I have an electric stove with coil elements.
I tried the water bath and it took me long time to get to boiling.
Then I made a ring of twisted up aluminum foil set that on the burner and set the flask on that.
That worked fine.
Last time I just set the flask on the burner and had no issues.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 06:56:05 am »
Spend the extra $ and buy Pyrex or Bomex.  You can take them straight from the burner to the ice bath without a worry.  If you plan to make lagers, I would purchase a 4L or 5L too.
Dave Zach

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:46:01 am »
I eventually gave up on boiling starters in my flask.  My problem was that the design was the perfect shape to shoot wort onto the ceiling above the stove.  My method now is to boil in a pot and then pour the cool wort into the sanitized flask.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:22 am »
I eventually gave up on boiling starters in my flask.  My problem was that the design was the perfect shape to shoot wort onto the ceiling above the stove.  My method now is to boil in a pot and then pour the cool wort into the sanitized flask.

I gave up on that too.  Not worth the mess.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:34:02 am »

I gave up on that too.  Not worth the mess.

I'll third that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 09:59:00 am »
Boiling in the flask works great for me and then no need to sanitize the flask or transfer to it after cooling.  Less steps.  Then again I use fermcap in every starter.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:18:48 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:20:43 am »
Boiling in the flask works great for me and then no need to transfer to sanitize the flask or transfer to it after cooling.  Less steps.  Then again I use fermcap in every starter.

+1
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:53:11 am »
Boiling in the flask works great for me and then no need to sanitize the flask or transfer to it after cooling.  Less steps.  Then again I use fermcap in every starter.

+1 here.  You do have to pay a little extra attention but if you reduce the heat just before it starts a rapid boil you should be fine.  No mess and less steps.
Dave Zach

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:24 am »
Don't fill the flask to the top and you should be fine as well.  I usually leave  1L of headspace in my flask and reduce the heat just before a boil and have no issue (as long as I keep a close eye on it).

Offline DaveR

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 01:22:00 pm »
Don't fill the flask to the top and you should be fine as well.  I usually leave  1L of headspace in my flask and reduce the heat just before a boil and have no issue (as long as I keep a close eye on it).

Using a wide mouth version of the Kimax helps, too. It's less apt to erupt than the narrow mouth version. I've  used both. Still, I stopped boiling starter wort in flasks. I used a small pot and transferred.

Now days I mix up enough wort for multiple starters. I mix up several gallons, fill canning jars and sterilize them in a pressure cooker. It may sound like a lot of work, but it isn't. I can make enough wort for a half dozen starters with slightly more effort than it once took for a single starter. It's really handy to have sterile wort on hand.

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
Re: Re: Boiling in an erlenmeyer flask
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 08:48:50 pm »
I have two stir plates being built, and I'll be ordering a couple of 2L flasks shortly.  My kitchen stove is electric, so, is it advisable to put my flasks in a water bath for boiling?  How should I proceed with this?

I use a gas stove and still scorch the starter if I heat in the flask.  I just use a stainless pot and cool it in a water bath right in the pot.  I just pour it in the flask when cool (I don't bother with O2 since I use a stir plate, but I do use nutrient).  Spray with Star-san at every opportunity and all will be well. ;)

Veldy

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Re: Boiling in an erlenmeyer flask
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 08:54:48 pm »
I use a gas stove and still scorch the starter if I heat in the flask. 

Give it a good swirl every couple of minutes until the DME is dissolved.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:26:19 pm »
i boil in a 2000ml flask and have never boiled over.  you just gotta watch for a little bit; maybe ride the burner dial.  it's not rocket science.  i grill dinner while i boil in my flask. 
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
Boiling in an erlenmeyer flask
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 10:10:24 pm »
I use a gas stove and still scorch the starter if I heat in the flask. 

Give it a good swirl every couple of minutes until the DME is dissolved.

I always heat the water to a boil, turn off the heat and after a couple of minutes, add the DME.  The wait avoids a sudden boil over.  I never add heat again until completely dissolved.  I still would catch  overly darkened wort, even black specs, if I applied even low heat to the flask.  I know that is precisely what a flask is for, but I just moved to a pan and never looked back. 

Veldy