Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kosher Hops  (Read 9798 times)

Offline lonetreedavid

• Cellarman
Kosher Hops
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:52:54 pm »
I am a craft brewer in Israel and it's important that all my ingredients be (certified) kosher - so that my beer would be 'available' to religious Jews.
I am having a real problem sourcing Hops and Irish Moss with a recognized "kosher" certification.
Any leads??
Thanks
DAvid

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Kosher Hops
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:29:57 am »
I guess I never realized "kosher" applied to plants.  What does it take for hops to be kosher?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lonetreedavid

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:25:44 pm »
You're right - and you're wrong.
Plants - in nature - are of course, kosher. However, where kosher supervision would come to importance, is in the issues of preparing, say, processing the flowers, preparing hop pellets and packing.
Any suppliers for me??

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:28:51 pm »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:06:38 pm by pinnah »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, lonetreedavid.  For my edification, could you explain what it is in the processing, etc. that makes them either kosher or not?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline halenrush

• Cellarman
  • Humboldt County, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »
I think its a rabbi supervising the processing (harvest, packing, etc) and certifying that it was done in accordance to their religious beliefs.  I may be wrong, but I think its mostly done for meat processing to make sure it hasn't been tainted with any pork products. 

OP: I think pinnah's link is what you are looking for. 

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 01:20:53 pm »
I think its a rabbi supervising the processing (harvest, packing, etc) and certifying that it was done in accordance to their religious beliefs.  I may be wrong, but I think its mostly done for meat processing to make sure it hasn't been tainted with any pork products.  
OP: I think pinnah's link is what you are looking for. 

I believe that when an animal is slaughtered kosher, it has to be killed by bleeding it, under Rabbi supervision. Not really anything to do with pork, although Kosher folk won't eat pork. Sorry to be graphic, but that's how it's done.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:35:19 pm by mtbrewer »

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 01:27:26 pm »
Kosher info: http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm

Also, Shmaltz Brewing Company makes kosher beer (He'Brew brand). Maybe you can ask them what they use?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:36:33 pm by glitterbug »
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:35:44 pm »
You're right - and you're wrong.
Plants - in nature - are of course, kosher. However, where kosher supervision would come to importance, is in the issues of preparing, say, processing the flowers, preparing hop pellets and packing.
Any suppliers for me??
Growing your own in the back yard?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:39 pm »
my friends parents were devout jewish and his father was a rabbi and im pretty sure i remember him tell me it all stems from the way something is blessed by him or around during its growth maybe?? could be a good market religion friendly hops
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 01:30:22 pm »
my friends parents were devout jewish and his father was a rabbi and im pretty sure i remember him tell me it all stems from the way something is blessed by him or around during its growth maybe?? could be a good market religion friendly hops

Contrary to popular misconception, rabbis or other religious officials do not "bless" food to make it kosher. There are blessings that observant Jews recite over food before eating it, but these blessings have nothing to do with making the food kosher. Food can be kosher without a rabbi or priest ever becoming involved with it: the vegetables from your garden are undoubtedly kosher (as long as they don't have any bugs, which are not kosher!). However, in our modern world of processed foods, it is difficult to know what ingredients are in your food and how they were processed, so it is helpful to have a rabbi examine the food and its processing and assure kosher consumers that the food is kosher. http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 01:52:14 pm »
Are we talking Glat Kosher?

Just dont let any gentiles or other non-Jews touch any of the ingredients.

Or Just Ask The a Rabbi. http://www.asktherabbi.org/

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:54:35 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 02:17:17 pm »
Kosher hops?  Seriously? lol  O.........k.....

I realize I'm not contributing anything to this thread, but IT'S BEER!  
Religious beliefs sure are odd...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:24:45 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 03:01:18 pm »
Kosher hops?  Seriously? lol  O.........k.....

I realize I'm not contributing anything to this thread, but IT'S BEER!  
Religious beliefs sure are odd...

There are many odder things in this world I can think of.   :(

I personally would like to hear what the answer is David.  Never occurred to me before.  Everything in here so far is speculation.  David would you be so kind as to explain what would be required for hops, or any other ingredient, to be certified kosher?

I worked once for a Kosher caterer and I know some of what is involved in the preperation and serving of food in keeping kosher but sadly, I never inquired more than what I needed to do my job.

I think many folks curiosities are peeked.  I know mine is. 
Dave Brush

Offline lonetreedavid

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 03:13:10 pm »
While not really wanting to get into a whole theological discussion; I'd like to give you a parallel situation. There is a (free) iPhone application called "Is your Beer Vegan?". And from all the beers listed in the program - the answer is apparently a definite NO. So if beer was "just beer" then there would be no question ( maybe with  the exception of cream stout). The point is that Hops are processed into pellets and it is important (to me) to know exactly what happens in that process. In the same way, Irish Moss - like a lot of seaweeds are coated with oil while being dryed.